Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if you could advise me please?
My cob Bertie always breathes heavily when we return to the yard after a hack, even though I always walk him back for at least the last 15 minutes. The vet has checked his heart and lungs and thankfully found nothing wrong.
Out hacking he is keen and always wants to be out front and doesn't seem to struggle unless we go up a long steep hill, then he simply takes it a bit slower, but I never push him on.
When we return to the yard his breathing is fast but calms down within a few minutes.
Any idea please of what could be the cause?
Many thanks for any advice you may give.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I could be totally wrong, but it sounds to me like he is just out of shape (?) Maybe work on stamina and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Maybe right, but he's ridden 4 times a week and we always have to go up and down hills where we are. He is much fitter than he was when I first got him. Sometimes he comes in from the field with similar heavy breathing. Very curious, but if it's allergies it's so hard to define.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I first purchased my horse she was really out of shape and her strange breathing really worried me (I worried it was allergies or infection or worse) but over time and conditioning it's mostly gone away. I think the rule of thumb I've found is that heavy breathing associated with excersize is ok, but it's when it occurs when they are simply in stall or not at work that you should worry.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.