The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

My name is Alex. I have two horses. Own one, and lease the other (may be purchasing).
i just moved on to my new farm, so am finally living the dream!

Ok, the horses!

First is Mona.
she's a morgan, may be a cross. 14hh. Young, but we think she might be older than I was told (she would be 3 if she was the age they told me, but there are a few things that make me think she's older, possibly a young 4.)
She was feral when I got her. Had a halter on once, and un-handled other than that. I've done all her training myself and Im very proud of her. :p

Next is Cassie. I just got her yesterday. I'm free leasing her for 3 months, and then either continuing on the free lease for another 9 months, or purchasing her (or purchasing her at the end of the 9 months).
She's 15 years old. 16 something hands high (if you measure to the top of her crazy wither. she's probably 15.2 if you measure to her back. LOL)
She's an Appendix! Shown in hunters. I'm planning on doing jumpers with her at some point... Some point being when her topline is built back up. haha.

Looking forward to sharing pictures, and learning from the discussions that happen here! :)

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You sure started off on the right foot here, you posted pictures, we love that!!! I sure love to see another Canadian and one who wear pink breeches as well. I am from BC, and yup, I wear the pinkies too!

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the board.im in alberta. Could I ask what you did with your feral horse? Ive got two geldings coming in that havnt been handled alot and need to learn to trust their humans as the last ones put them on a feed lot. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum. You sure started off on the right foot here, you posted pictures, we love that!!! I sure love to see another Canadian and one who wear pink breeches as well. I am from BC, and yup, I wear the pinkies too!
YAY! Pink lovers, Unite! ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the board.im in alberta. Could I ask what you did with your feral horse? Ive got two geldings coming in that havnt been handled alot and need to learn to trust their humans as the last ones put them on a feed lot. Any advice would be helpful.
Honestly, Mona was surprisingly easy to work with. She always has been.
My best advice would be to take your time, and really just make sure to earn their trust (don't mistake that for letting them get away with things... if the kick/bite, whatever, then get after them.), and don't pressure them into too much.

With Mona i really kind of invited her to do things, rather than push her to do things. She learned that while Turning away from the "object" (tarp, saddle, whatever) may get her temporarily away from it, it was easier to go to it.

My rule is "You don't want to do this? That's fine. Let's do something else. Like lunge. Or spin in a circle. Or practice raised trot poles."

She's realized that by not doing the first "easy" task, we're going to go back over things she knows, but make them more difficult (trot poles were raised, ball wrapped in a tarp, turn on the haunches but asking for more speed, etc.).

I hope I'm making sense. I'm tired. XD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another Canadian :)

Hi all, from Ontario. I have been around horses and dogs my entire life. Currently, I have Saxon, my 5 year old English Bulldog, and Colt, my 14 year old Quarter Horse/Arab cross. My boys are the light of my life.
Colt has been in my life for just over a year, and very excited to move him to his new barn in April. Indoor arena....hurray, year round riding!!!, 15 acres of bush with trails, 2 acre grass ring and a tiled sand ring that is lit for night riding :).
Happy to meet you all, and to have found this great, informative forum. Carrots and kisses to all of your babies :).

·
Registered
695 Posts
:wave: Hi! I am not from Canada, but so many people think I am... I live in Maine, and honestly it IS part of the U.S.

I would rather it be part of Canada though. I just love Canadians.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts