The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been around horses since before I could even walk, my first horse was a Shetland Pony mare named Stitches. She lived up to her name, many a person who tried to get on her was sent to the doctor. I was stubborn enough that I stuck on her like a burr, eventually she stopped trying to throw me off. Since Stitches I've ridden on many other horses, mostly crossbreds that would never win any beauty contests. Now I ride a 16 hand high gelding named Marching On, a crossbred of unknown breeding. Unlike all the other horses I've ridden in the past he's totally blind. Despite being told that its not possible not to ride a blind horse by friends/family I still ride him, hence my signature. Right now I have no interest in horse hunting, considering my neighbors have horses and he seems happy enough. I can't really put my finger on it but he is more gentle and steady than a lot of horses that I have met in the past. Many call me nuts because I often jump Reggie bareback (without saddle or bridle) but I call it trust.

Besides Reggie I have a boxer named Hermes and a parrot that goes by the name of Storm (a female). Unlike my sisters I have never had any interest in marriage or finding a boyfriend, animals are where I find my close family. They listen without question and are there when you need them to be the most.

·
Registered
49,728 Posts
welcome to the forum! when you jump this blind horse, how do you signal to him when he should jump, and how high he needs to go? I know that there are people who ride blind horses, so it CAN be done.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I chirp to him, we have a system going on with that.. We have a method to our madness.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome! I too have a blind horse and she's so tuned with me, it's near impossible to tell she's blind. She's been with me 18 years and lost her sight 2 years ago.
I'm impressed you jump with him, that took a lot of patience and training. I'd love to run barrels again on my girl, but I think at 20, she has earned her retirement :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts