The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my old helemet has offically been retired. I've had it for a long time and it ended up cracking from being dropped...soo the shopping for a new helmet has started.
Does anyone have any brand recommendations?? I do a lot of trail riding and just western pleasure riding if that makes any difference. I honestly dont know where to start looking for one since it's been so long since I've bought one.
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Troxel has some pretty decent inexpensive helmets. I have always liked them for pretty much anything.

Reactions: morganarab94

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!
Another thing is would you buy one online or go to a tack shop?? We have a tack shop here in town but their prices are extremely overrated. But I'm not sure how buying one online would work since you wouldn't get to try it on.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I really like my Tipperary Sportage. It definitely comes down to what's most comfortable for you though- Tipperary tends to fit a more "oval" shaped head, while Troxel tends to work better for "round" heads.

I also highly recommend SmartPak. They offer free return shipping for all sized items, so you can order a few different helmets, try them on at home, and send back the ones that didn't work for you.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Thanks for the responses!
Another thing is would you buy one online or go to a tack shop?? We have a tack shop here in town but their prices are extremely overrated. But I'm not sure how buying one online would work since you wouldn't get to try it on.
Here is what I do: I go to the expensive tack shop in town, try on anything and everything and take pictures of the tag with my phone. I then go online and order the exact same thing for a lot less $$$$. Happy shopping.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Even if you don't buy it at the tack shop, at least get one fitted so you know what size and shape you are. Many people buy them too big and they slide all over the place once they settle in. You want one that initially makes a suction cup sound when placed on your head and practically gives you a headache.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I love my Ovation schooling helmet! Light, low profile, and inexpensive while still being more attractive than most.

A good note for buying helmets- they should fit snugly at first! I bought my first Ovation schooler about four years ago when I came to the barn and found my poor Troxel with a mysterious crack in it. I didn't remember any issues with the fit, and I had it until the beginning of this year when I decided to retire it. A friend of mine bought the same helmet as mine over the summer, and didn't want it because it was too small for her. She had forgotten the return date but kept hanging onto it, so I bought it from her. Put it on, and the thing was super snug! Same exact helmet and size as my old one! I was disappointed, but it's become a lot more comfortable over the past month or so!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Troxel has the best price and are reputable. If you are showing, you could invest in an additional, pricier and better looking helmet, and haul it out just for showing. But, for everyday schooling, I prefer Troxel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have the Tipperary Sportage. I really like it. Although I have not used it yet, I've tried it on and it is light weight. Better yet, it does not look like a big plastic bubble sitting upon my head. So it gets two thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I've tried Troxel. They don't fit my head and they aren't comfortable for me. Everyone has different shaped and sized heads.

I have a Tippery Sportage. LOVE IT! Comfortable to wear all day, plus it has a low profile so you don't feel like a mushroom.

·
Administrator
36,324 Posts
The Ovation seem to fit my head better than the Troxel which looked nice but was so uncomfortable
I like my old Charles Owen the best - more money but worth it for a better fit

·
Registered
635 Posts
I must have a big head because I have the hardest time finding helmets that fit. Lol I have had two IRHs (International Riding Helmets) that I absolutely loved and that fit great. :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I love my IRH!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have to pitch in and say I LOVE my Ovation Schooler. I worked at a lesson program and tried on many helmets and used to own a Troxel when I was younger. The Ovation is very lightweight, but still has the big name safety ratings from what I could tell, isn't too hot and I often forget I have it on. It's the best looking affordable helmet IMO but that's obviously subject and shouldn't be the only reason you purchase one. The adjustable dial in the back is awesome, I can wear my hair a few different ways and the helmet always fits comfortably.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a champion skull cap? Whether you guys have them I don't know. They're really comfy and k got mine for £10 2 nd hand, brand new. I'd suggest getting it fitted at the track shop then buying? Haven't read all the posts so not sure if it's already been suggested?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I had an IRH, and absolutely loved! My most recent accident snapped the dial on it (only fall in it; would have replaced it anyway even if I hadn't broken it), so I sadly had to replace it. The tack store I went to didn't have any IRH's to try on, so I tried a few of them. I bought the Tipperary Sportage, and loved it! Haven't ridden in it much, but the short rides I have done it's been very comfortable! My husband got an Ovation, and doesn't complain that he has to wear it. I definitely recommend trying a bunch of different ones. When I tried the Ovation I just didn't like how it fit my head. The Troxels didn't really work for me either.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a Troxel Spirit and it fits well and has the adjustable headband in back which is a nice feature. Nice style, nice black matte finish and under $50.00.

It appears to be low profile, but that is until you put it on your head. It looks enormous and seems to enter a room three seconds before you do.
I guess looks though are secondary to safety.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My girls both wear Troxel helmets...also, I'm a big fan of Ebay. Lots of times you can get brand new stuff for much cheaper than retail. That's where I got the kiddos helmets :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.