The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter and I are new riders. Not knowing any better, I purchased helmets for us that were in the $50-60 range- I think one is "TuffRider" and one is "Troxel." I didn't think anything of it until I saw a website that was selling helmets for close to $300! YIKES! Can you tell me if it is important to get these higher-end types of helmets or are the ones we have okay for now? Are the more expensive ones for showing? Of course, I want the safest helmets possible, but the large price tag blew me away. Thanks for any guidance here.

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
No. The only things that count are age, fit, comfort and certification. There are great helmets in every price range.

Don't leave them in the heat. They do expire so check the date on them. I think 5 years? So you don't want something that has sat on a shelf forever.

I found my son and I new helmets as it is time on sale and had a redeemable gift cert from his new jump vest so got 2 for about the price of one.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I've ridden in a Troxel and I'm still alive.

All horse riding helmets must pass the ASTM/SEI test. Although I have heard that some helmets have a higher/better score than others...? Don't be fooled that higher price equates to better helmet. I've borrowed $200 helmets before but they didn't fit my... I guess, weird shaped head.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Newsflash, lots of helmets are in the 500-600$ price range too! They are not necessarily safer, just fancier. As long as your helmets are certified, they're fine. We use Troxels for everyday helmets and my daughter has a nicer one for shows. One thing that IS important is proper fit. There are good videos about this online if you want to double check.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
All certified riding helmets go through the exact same testing and must pass that testing to be certified, period.
What makes a helmet more expensive is often the marketing, the sponsoring of popular professional riders and fad with fashion.
Yes, helmets can and do start at inexpensive prices and can easily go to near $1,000 dollars for a helmet off the shelf forget what a custom made costs.

From the Troxel brand "Sport" helmet starting at $29.74 to off the charts in expensive... https://www.statelinetack.com/Search.aspx?query=riding helmets
What is most important is a proper and comfortable fit so best protection is achieved as was mentioned.
A budget to about $75.00 will give you around 20 choices to try on and find one that fits and is liked.

There are many places to purchase a helmet from, but you truly need to go to a store and try on the make and model for the comfort factor and proper coverage with sizing.
Many stores will meet or beat a competitors price if given the chance...
The other added tidbit is every certified helmet inside has a date stamp...
That stamp is when the helmet was made, the closer the date to today's current date the best in technology and helmet manufacturers suggest replacing of helmets every 5 - 7 years from manufacturing date so you want a newer date not a helmet that has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for 4 years. :frown_color:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most of the time, higher end helmets are for showing, but since your new to riding I think frozen is good. My first helmet was a frozen as well, and they are a good brand! Sometimes the cheaper ones are nicer too! Have fun riding

·
Registered
884 Posts
I paid 60 for mine, it's HKM brand. I could have gone cheaper but I wanted a specific look. I already fell with it on my head and it is still good (I kinda fell on my face so the helmet didn't take a big impact) :D I would rather spend your cash on riding boots or on saddle equipment or lessons... :)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
@Jolien, if your helmet hit the ground when you fell, you should replace it. It may still look structurally sound, but often the damage is not visible... Better to be safe than sorry.

That is another reason why I like a helmet that is not too expensive: so I can replace it as needed without having my wallet crying :biggrin:

·
Registered
884 Posts
@SwissMiss Really? My niece said it was still okay to ride... I only hit the lid in front of my eyes since I fell with my face flat in the dirt. My actual helmet casket didn't hit the ground... It still looks good... but maybe you are right...

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Jolien... do you have another helmet you can use for a few weeks?
If you took a fall and any part of your helmet from brim to just anywhere touched ground you can send it back to the manufacturer for a safety check.
The company has the ability to scan it somehow looking for minute cracks that jeopardize it withstanding another hit = damaging your skull and brain.
You can't see those cracks if they are microscopic, but hit again and you in big trouble.
My understanding is it costs a few dollars to do that test, for a cheaper helmet it might not be worth the expense when you could buy new for a few more in difference and have new with new materials and technology not possibly ending its term of safe use on your skull..
Contact the manufacturer of the helmet for what they suggest done..

Only you know the age of the helmet, how many times it was dropped, you fell off and hit or came close, you bumped it pretty hard against something...
It is your risk to take and own the results of your actions..

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jolien... do you have another helmet you can use for a few weeks?
If you took a fall and any part of your helmet from brim to just anywhere touched ground you can send it back to the manufacturer for a safety check.
The company has the ability to scan it somehow looking for minute cracks that jeopardize it withstanding another hit = damaging your skull and brain.
You can't see those cracks if they are microscopic, but hit again and you in big trouble.
My understanding is it costs a few dollars to do that test, for a cheaper helmet it might not be worth the expense when you could buy new for a few more in difference and have new with new materials and technology not possibly ending its term of safe use on your skull..
Contact the manufacturer of the helmet for what they suggest done..

Only you know the age of the helmet, how many times it was dropped, you fell off and hit or came close, you bumped it pretty hard against something...
It is your risk to take and own the results of your actions..

I didn't know all this. It's 1 year old, I paid 60 euros for it and I only hit the ground with it once... I will contact the manifacturer... I don't have a second helmet to wear and I have 5 more hours of riding scheduled this week...

·
Registered
884 Posts
I ordered a new one online... just to be sure. (online because the shop doesn't have my size in the store... I have 54) I can have my old one scanned if they provide that service. :)

what sizes of helmets do other adult female riders have?? I wonder? :D

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Don't fret Jolien...just speak to the company.

Your helmet may be pro-rated for replacing it since it is so recent a purchase too.
For the reasons I mentioned in my other post about microscopic cracks is the reason so many equestrians say never, ever buy a used helmet.
You can't see the damages often times, but if the helmet was structurally compromised it could be your life as you know it, literally, if you take another fall and bump the head.
We are only given one brain, inside a piece of bone that cracks pretty easily...don't take that chance, please don't take that chance of not offering protection proper.

I just saw what you posted....
Thank-you, thank-you for offering yourself the best protection of your brain you can!! :loveshower::clap::clap:

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
European sizing is different than American sizes so don't know the equivalents...
Depending upon helmet style and manufacturer I've had several different sized helmets...
7 1/4, 7 3/8, 7 1/2... my helmet now is a Tipperary Sportage think is the model...7 1/2.
It is needing replaced from age and looks like it was beat up...it was. :icon_rolleyes:
It fell off of the hook in my trailer and hit the wood floor from about 5' up...yup, new helmet.
But I'm going to go try on some others in my price range to see if there is anything more comfortable, better fit than what currently I have...you never know.

So glad you did the right thing and ordered a new one to best protect you.
Do contact the company to see what kind of warranty program and replacement costs they offer.

·
Registered
884 Posts
yeah but I still need to ride in my helmet tomorrow and the day after (I already booked those rides), we're going trailriding. Tomorrow: I know those horses and trails, I never saw them do anything wrong or spook... Saturday: I don't know that trailride company but it was recommended to me and the owners asked about my weight and experience and they also asked what kind of horse I liked and if I was able to canter long. So I guess they are quite okay too. :D I never fell off when riding in a western saddle (rode for 60+ hours now). The one time I fell was when I lost a stirrup during cantering in an english saddle and the horse wouldn't stop... So let's pray I don't fall off during those next rides. After that I will be wearing the new helmet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts