The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have been searching for a replacement helmet for my Charles Owen Ayr8 helmet. I'd be using it occasionally for schooling, but mostly for any shows. I'd love a new Charles Owen, but they are a bit pricey. I am absolutely in love with the One K Defender helmet with rose gold accents. If I show, I'd be in hunters/eq, but I probably wouldn't be going to anything big, just local. Would the One K helmet with the rose gold stripe accent be acceptable? I don't think I should have issues since the accent looks elegant, and isn't super flashy. I am just curious on peoples opinions or experience with wearing non traditional things in the show ring. I know plain black would be my safest bet for showing, but I want to have some fun with my helmet!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have that exact one K helmet and I really like it (get lots of compliments on it too!), although the fit still doesn't quite compare to the CO, as I find the CO to fit like a glove with the way the padding forms to the head. I haven't had a crash in my one k yet (knocks on wood), so I can't speak for how it will hold up in comparison.

I was a 6 3/4" (54-55") in the CO, and fit into the small one k, so the size chart seems relatively accurate (I still tried it on in store though, just to be sure). The one-k appears a bit rounder in shape, but fits snug enough, and is comfortable. The chin strap is more foreword than all the helmets I've tried. It is something to get used to, but doesn't bother me.

For a h/j show, I am not sure because I compete in dressage. Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you. For a local show though, I doubt it would be an issue. There is always the regular black defender though, and I know that one has been quite popular in the hunter ring.

·
Super Moderator
15,704 Posts
You are referring to fads and what the current fad is...
If you are afraid to go against the current fad...then don't.
If you are comfortable in the helmet and want to be judged on your ability to ride not on your ability to buy this seasons fad clothing/apparel then buy and go ride and enjoy.
Remember that all helmets approved as riding apparel have gone through the exact same testing and certification testing.
If you show and the judge is worth their salt in being fair...he isn't looking at your helmet to see if you are current in fad, but at how you sit and communicate with that animal astride you sit on..
This all comes down to how the fit of the helmet is and what the budget can afford is where you are at it seems.
🐴...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are referring to fads and what the current fad is...
If you are afraid to go against the current fad...then don't.
If you are comfortable in the helmet and want to be judged on your ability to ride not on your ability to buy this seasons fad clothing/apparel then buy and go ride and enjoy.
Remember that all helmets approved as riding apparel have gone through the exact same testing and certification testing.
If you show and the judge is worth their salt in being fair...he isn't looking at your helmet to see if you are current in fad, but at how you sit and communicate with that animal astride you sit on..
This all comes down to how the fit of the helmet is and what the budget can afford is where you are at it seems.
🐴...
That's what I'm thinking! They shouldn't be focused on how my helmet looks as long as I have one on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have that exact one K helmet and I really like it (get lots of compliments on it too!), although the fit still doesn't quite compare to the CO, as I find the CO to fit like a glove with the way the padding forms to the head. I haven't had a crash in my one k yet (knocks on wood), so I can't speak for how it will hold up in comparison.

I was a 6 3/4" (54-55") in the CO, and fit into the small one k, so the size chart seems relatively accurate (I still tried it on in store though, just to be sure). The one-k appears a bit rounder in shape, but fits snug enough, and is comfortable. The chin strap is more foreward than all the helmets I've tried. It is something to get used to, but doesn't bother me.

For a h/j show, I am not sure because I compete in dressage. Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you. For a local show though, I doubt it would be an issue. There is always the regular black defender though, and I know that one has been quite popular in the hunter ring.
I love rose gold and it's one of my favorite colors. I think I'm still going to go for the rose gold one. I have more of a round head, and for the LONGEST time my CO would give me headaches until I broke it in. Unfortunately at the time I was young and didn't understand that it didn't fit my head properly and wanted a CO because everyone else had fancy helmets. I'll be devastated if the One K doesnt fit me right though :LOL:. I think I will end up fitting a M in the One K but plan to size up since I always ride with my hair in my helmet.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'd think the one-k would actually fit you better then if you are a rounder head shape! The one thing about the medium is that you will be on the cusp. The medium shell fits the Xs, S and Medium liner, but not the large liner. The next size up is the large, which only fits the large liner according to the company (I emailed them before inquiring about liners). Not sure why they skipped the M-L section. However, I wonder if anyone here may have tried the large helmet shell with medium liner, despite what the company says. If you can, I'd certainly try the helmet on to be sure, and if not then just make sure the online company allows exchange and return, so you can find the correct size.

I think you will enjoy the removable liner function though. I've found it to be convenient to have a medium liner for winter because I use a thermal therapy liner cap (from greenhawk) that goes underneath my helmet for the winter, and the medium liner has enabled a better fit when using the extra layer, with no perching. The smaller liner also helps for show days, when my hair is slicked back and takes up less room. Helps keep a snug fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd think the one-k would actually fit you better then if you are a rounder head shape! The one thing about the medium is that you will be on the cusp. The medium shell fits the Xs, S and Medium liner, but not the large liner. The next size up is the large, which only fits the large liner according to the company (I emailed them before inquiring about liners). Not sure why they skipped the M-L section. However, I wonder if anyone here may have tried the large helmet shell with medium liner, despite what the company says. If you can, I'd certainly try the helmet on to be sure, and if not then just make sure the online company allows exchange and return, so you can find the correct size.

I think you will enjoy the removable liner function though. I've found it to be convenient to have a medium liner for winter because I use a thermal therapy liner cap (from greenhawk) that goes underneath my helmet for the winter, and the medium liner has enabled a better fit when using the extra layer, with no perching. The smaller liner also helps for show days, when my hair is slicked back and takes up less room. Helps keep a snug fit.
You're probably right! I will probably go with a L, and most likely I will order through Dover or the One K website. I know Dover is great about returns. I would literally have to drive about three hours to any tack store to be able to try anything on unfortunately. I really wanted to try the helmets on before buying, but I wont be able to 😭

1 - 7 of 7 Posts