The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I myself ride with a helmet, only because I have to though. I do think helmets are good and prevent damage to the head, I find that they can cause people to be unsafe. Like "Oh, I can jump that 8ft fence with my 12hh pony, it's safe because I have a hat on" obviously exaggerated; do you get my point? A lot of people rely on helmets and would do something with their house without a helmet, taking the keeping your head protected out of the equation, you can still be paralysed and break books and although body protectors help a little, they do say on the tags that they are not designed to protect the back.

My main point is that if you're not willing to do something without the protection of a hat, someone shouldn't think it is okay to do it with one. I know most people on here probably don't do things they aren't competent comfortable with because they have a hat on, if they do then probably like me and would do it regardless of protection.

I'm just saying this because I your annoyed with someone recently that said although they weren't confident they could do it, they felt save because they had a hat on. I called them a moron and got punched, but thought instead of going into school after half term and getting excluded for hurting some kid, I'd express what I thought on the Internet about them and hope they find it.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
They are not overrated if you have an interest in protecting your brain cells.

As for doing something beyond your ability just because you have a helmet on...well, that's stupidity.

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
I have a scar around the side of my head and some vague memories of the excruciating pain of getting my skull fractured
It would not have been anything like as bad if I'd had a helmet on and hadn't been such an idiot who thought that nothing awful could happen to me 'just hacking out'
That was a lesson I'd rather not have learnt the hard way!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I mean. It really annoys me that a lot of people I know are only willing to do things because they have a helmet. Don't get me wrong, I love my helmets because they keep me safer than I would be without one (also keep my head warm) this person just really grated on me than someone could be so stupid.

I'm not the greatest common sense wise and I do some stupid things with my horse, but not because I think I'm safe from wearing a hat, because I find it quite funny when my horse either puts up with me, or throws me off and I don't try that one again.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I grew up not wearing one. I have been lucky in a couple of accidents that I didnt get hurt worse than I should have. The older I get (23) the less invincible I feel. I will probably be getting myself a helmet soon. It would make me feel better training the youngsters at least
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I do not believe over rated at all, they more often then not serve the exact purpose they claim to and I don't hear many people say they wish they hadn't been wearing one.

However, no, it shouldn't make you feel invincible. I typically feel a little more comfortable with a helmet on but it in no way gives me permission to try something outside of my skill set.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Foolish riders will do stupid things, helmet or no helmet. The difference is that when they fall off hopefully their head is still intact.

I've seen no evidence that riders wearing helmets somehow feel any more "invincible" than riders without, but then again there's absolutely nowhere I've ridden around here in many years where helmets were not mandatory.

We could go without with our lease horses, but I'm not that stupid. We don't even mount without our helmets on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanna go to America. A lot of people seem to have more sense than the people I know. Maybe it's just my age group? I don't know, but I'm pretty stupid with my horse and open about it. People of my age are very conscious about what they do, but what they do depends on if they have a helmet. I knew someone that rode a loopy pony that hasn't been exercised in weeks, just got on, no Jay and was save because she wasn't jumping. She was twice the size of this pony so she probably couldn't misbehave, but she was so stupid. The worst part about it was that she got on because it was playing up for her sister. I mean, if she'd had a hat on she'd have been a bit safer and a lot of people would have accepted it on my yard if she would have put a hat on, saw nothing else won't with it. People about me.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
People who have been around the block a few times KNOW that helmets only protect a narrow type of injury. They will not keep you from breaking your neck, back or limbs, they will not protect you from internal injuries or even concussion (coup/counter coup injuries). anyone who thinks they cannot get injured with a helmet on is looking for an education. I hope they survive the learning process.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Oh boy, another helmet thread.

These helmet threads are like a bad penny.....about the time one dies down another comes back around.

Reactions: Roux

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
anyone who thinks they cannot get injured with a helmet on is looking for an education. I hope they survive the learning process.
I don't discredit your thinking, but your brain is the key to everything else.

You can break bones, your back, heck, even your neck up to a certain point and still survive. I have a C1-C2 spinal fusion, so I'm pretty well versed in that, having had more than a few frank discussions with my neurosurgeon about the topic. ;)

However, Turn your brain into Jello or crack your skull open, and chances are it's over.

Ultimately, the potential for life vs almost certain death. Seems like a good reason to wear a brain bucket to me. Yeah, they don't make you invincible, but I think that's just common sense.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Meh

I ride with helmet, and usually a vest too. This way if I fall at least my head and spine are a little protected. I still have arms and legs and hands and feet that can be broken, so no I don't feel invincible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, didn't realise this was a common thing, I went back a few pages to see if anyone had brought it up, I couldn't find one. This was more of a moan than a preach

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I don't discredit your thinking, but your brain is the key to everything else.

I totally agree. However, a helmet will not thoroughly protect your brain for much more than an open head injury. Concussions will still be a problem, helmet or not. A sudden deceleration injury will have the brain bouncing all over the cranial cavity, bruising each time it hits the skull. Anyone who counts on a helmet saving a brain injury is naïve, IMO. I spent too many years at wreck scenes to believe they are a save-all.

That said, I don't get on a horse, very often, without one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've only ever ridden without a helmet by accident. I always got told in the middle of a schooling session that I didn't have one on, so I'd get of there and then, leave my house to wander around so she didn't get stiff and come back with my hat. One time I did get told off for going on a hack without one, no-one had seen me leave so I didn't notice until I got back 4 hours later.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Anyone who counts on a helmet saving a brain injury is naïve, IMO. I spent too many years at wreck scenes to believe they are a save-all.
I totally agree - they are not a "magic forcefield", but it's also niave to suggest that they don't help.

One only need look at motorcycle wreck statistics....and be sure you are looking at factual scientific facts, not the often unfounded rhetoric, skewed statistics and fuzzy "Facts" from the anti-helmet lobby (cyclists have their own, as well) that play with the numbers to fit their goals. It's important to make sure you're making judgements based on actual data.

The scientific facts tell a tale of helmets working.

During 2008–2010, a total of 14,283 motorcyclists were killed in crashes, among whom 6,057 (42%) were not wearing a helmet. In the 20 states with a universal helmet law, 739 (12%) fatally injured motorcyclists were not wearing a helmet, compared with 4,814 motorcyclists (64%) in the 27 states with partial helmet laws and 504 (79%) motorcyclists in the three states without a helmet law.
Source: Helmet Use Among Motorcyclists Who Died in Crashes and Economic Cost Savings Associated With State Motorcycle Helmet Laws — United States, 2008–2010

Yes, horses are not motorcycles, but helmets are helmets.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I totally agree - they are not a "magic forcefield", but it's also niave to suggest that they don't help.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I don't think helmets "help". I doubt I would be so careful to always wear one if I thought that.

Yes, horses are not motorcycles, but helmets are helmets.
True, but they will never completely protect from head injuries. Look at football helmets. They are probably the most advanced helmet design, yet they say in a study....

So far, none of the three major football helmet manufacturers make any claim about reduction or prevention of concussion. In fact they are all agreed that a helmet offers protection, but no helmet is a guarantee against concussion.
Do Helmets Prevent Concussions

The bottom line, going back to the OP, is that nothing will totally protect you except your exercising diligence where your health is concerned. Even then, Ka Ka happens.

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
The science of motorcycle safety is not applicable to horses.

Studies vary on the effectiveness of helmets and riding accidents. The statistics I've seen indicate helmets reduce the chance of serious head injury by 50-80% if the fall is one that would result in a head injury. Many falls do not.

Jumping with horses increases the risk of falling on one's noggin. How much? Maybe 10-40 fold. Most of the studies I've found were done in the 90s or early 2000 range. Someone who rides in a western or dressage style is more likely to land on their back than their head, and a lot less likely to fall off in the first place. Interestingly, several studies indicated there were more head injuries working around horses on the ground than riding them on the flats.

So if safety is your goal, avoid horses. If you are willing to accept some risk, then decide how much and what you are willing to do to minimize it. At 55, I'm risk adverse. I took one tumble off a horse since I started riding. It was in Jan 2009, and my right lower back still hurts a couple of times a week due to it. Even now, there are days I stop riding after 30 minutes because my back hurts too much. Something like that encourages caution! I just can't heal the way I did 30-40 years ago!

So...for me: I don't jump. There isn't much where I live that is safe to jump, and my mare has a mild club foot that probably wouldn't bother her - but I'd be miserable if I asked her to jump and then she had an injury. I like my English jump saddle, but only for riding in our little arena. Off property, I'll use an Australian saddle, or more recently a western saddle. If things turn ugly, an Australian saddle is pretty hard to fall out of, and a western isn't far behind.

I wear a helmet about 95+% of the time. If I forget, I don't go back or quit...the helmet isn't THAT important to me. The one fall I had was helmetless, but I landed 2 feet from a bunch of large, jagged rocks that could have cracked my skull with ease. And while Mia is much calmer than she used to be, she still has her moments. She is also a klutz, and a helmet could save me if SHE falls down!

But I'd as soon be emasculated as tell another rider (not my daughter) to put on a helmet. My daughter is happy with the helmet, but I have had less luck at convincing her that stirrups are a good idea on trail rides. Oh well.

To me, a helmet is cheap insurance. Federico Caprilli was killed when his horse slipped on ice or cobblestones. My normal trail riding starts with a quarter mile of pavement, and my mare is no more graceful than I am. But a helmet should be viewed as one part of a system. Saddle, horse, training, etc all play a part. A prudent person considers all the factors and decides how much risk to accept.

And if they are not a minor member of my family? I'll accept their judgment and keep my mouth shut. :wink:

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.