The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys Just a quick question what do you guys think about riding helmets?
Do you wear one when you ride?

·
Super Moderator
13,763 Posts
Jumping? Absolutely. Anything else I ride with a helmet 99% of the time. Very rarely do I ever ride without. You are asking for a TBI otherwise. It isn't if you fall off it is when and you never determine the location or landing. Protect your head.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a helmet and I wore my helmet for the first 18 months of riding my new to me gelding. I haven't been wearing it for the last six months because I feel that we have established a level of trust that I'm comfortable and feel safe. I did come of my horse during the first year and I did have my helmet on during that event when I injured my shoulder.

I realize that riding without a helmet is dangerous and I have accepted that risk. Riding horses as well as simply being around horses includes risks and that is reflected in the required posted signs at the barn where I board my horse. We all recognize that our hobby of riding includes dangerous risk.

Each person is responsible for their own wellbeing.

Reactions: Txshecat0423

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,490 Posts
Always. Absolutely every time. Even when I'm on vacation and decide spontaneously to seek out a trail ride somewhere, I'll only go to places that provide helmets. The risk of a TBI is always lessened by a helmet, so I really see no downside to wearing one. They can only help. Even horses you "trust completely" can trip and spill you. That's what happened to Courtney King-Dye (Olympic dressage contender), and she has permanent disabilities from that fall that was no one's fault.

Plus, hey, on trails I can lower my head and use the top of the helmet to bash through branches. Can't imagine doing that without one!!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I checked the "search" bar and there are 22 pages about wearing helmets on Horse Forum alone. You can read all the entries, about 20 per page, so about 440 threads about helmets, not including pages about Courtney King-Dye, and Fallon Taylor, and other helmeted sports comments.

A really good thread about helmets is this one (if you only want to read one): Helmets - to wear or not, and why 🤠 | The Horse Forum

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes absolutely always. Why wouldn't you? Perhaps they can be uncomfortable but you forget about it real fast. I'm also an advocate fir wearing a helmet when doing other potentialy dangerous activities like lunging clipping and bathing. Just to it. A head injury is perhaps the worst kind to have so there's no point taking the risk. Even if you know the horse a safe horse can still spook or stumble and freak out and the outcome is the same.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wear one at all times and will not get on a horse without one anymore, even if just to sit on one. There is simply too much that can go wrong and it is not worth risking my brain and life over.

I actually sustained a concussion in a fall many years ago in which I was wearing a helmet, and I hate to think of how much more severe my injury would've been had I not been wearing the helmet. The horse and I were not doing anything crazy, but I just happened to go over his shoulder and topple head first into the ground (I think I passed out). It broke the helmet! After that experience, there is no question in my mind whether I want to wear one or not. I do believe others should be free to make that decision for themselves, but I'll always strongly recommend it if asked for my opinion.

I did go a few years without wearing one, as I was young and got a LOT of lip service about it from some of the people I rode with. Finally, I stopped and thought, "Why on Earth am I valuing these people's opinions more than my own safety?" and quit caring!

·
Super Moderator
16,078 Posts
No helmet, no horse....
I have trust in my mount too....trust him with my life trust.
That said, I'm human and make mistakes..
My horse is a animal and makes mistakes...
I pray we not both make a mistake at the same time...

I worked in emergency health care as a paramedic/EMT for many years and saw riding accidents, cause no one plans on falling, getting tossed or any hundred of other things that can injure us...called accidents is a reason.
One thing I put 2 + 2 together on...those who were helmeted often had much less severe injuries to head and face.
Then later in life I worked in a rehab hospital where riding injuries were sadly pretty common people needing physical , occupational and speech therapy services when a brain injury happened, and often those riders were helmet-less and arrived in far worse shape.
Some recovered from that riding mishap, some will never be what they were seconds before uh-oh hit the fan and it happened, a change forever in your/their life.
It is your decision whether to ride with or without...if you're an adult.
But remember, your injury has a lasting toll on family and loved ones who now may be needing to rearrange their life forever if you can't recover enough... :confused:

If a child, they get no say-so in my home...as long as you are under my protection and insurance plan, under my roof, under my care financially and needing my assistance to afford your riding habit and the ability to have roof over the head, food in the gut, clothes on your back and that horse your ride is financed by me....you will ride with a helmet. Always!
The day I catch you astride and no helmet your horse is gone and so is the riding, period!
Yes I'm that firm on no helmet no horse...and I live by my rule and do so by example shown.

I've seen to much devastation & disruption to lives because of a "I trust and oops happened"...not if it can possibly be prevented from being forever life changing...helmet on or get off and stay off!
That and it is a law in many states minors wear helmets astride...or face a consequence of held accountable by law even on your property...endangering a minor is not funny a offense.
We face enough danger just being in proximity of the beasts on the ground, once preparing for astride...helmet on or go home.
As a adult...be informed and read what those who were some of the best of the best had occur and what is one of the things they would change if they could go back in time just a split second before..................................:eek:

So, go buy the best you can afford, make sure it is comfortable so you wear it cause having it collect dust in a closet or tack-box is worthless. ;)
🐴...

·
Registered
15,089 Posts
I trust every single horse I've got. And I wear a helmet 100% of the time. When I was a kid, we mostly only wore them at shows and for jumping if someone was there to make us. At the time, they didn't have chin straps, didn't have specifications and were better than nothing but probably not much. Oh and we wore them until there was no velvet left on them, then they became schooling helmets. They are MUCH better now. Also a lot more comfortable and better ventilated.

TBIs are no joke. I've had several, not all horse caused but most of them were, and you will never get another brain. But for the Grace of God, my brain would be Jello. I'm not looking that gift in the mouth.

I have one of these Tipperary Glitz, comfortable and reasonably priced. Make sure you try on several different brands, some are more oval, some more round, some more square. One will be the one that makes you say, "Yes, that's the one.".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Almost always. The handful of times I've gotten on a horse without a helmet it was for the purpose of taking photos well dressed up. I got on once this winter without a helmet because the choice was wear a helmet or get frozen ears. My gelding is manageable enough, but he's dumped me more than a few times and other rides with far more experience. My rule is to always wear one unless there's a specific reason not to. I also don't go higher than a walk without one, but that's more because the only times I don't wear one are when taking photos well in custom.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I got on once this winter without a helmet because the choice was wear a helmet or get frozen ears.
There is another option. Helmet covers with fleece flaps that velcro over your chin keep your ears, neck and part of your face cozy warm! I ride in some pretty cold weather, but stay nice and warm from head to toe.
Horse Snow Working animal Saddle Bit

Attachments

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,490 Posts
I have also found that Buffs (basically a big fabric convertible neck tube thing) can fit well under a helmet if you loop a single layer over your head. It's just enough to keep those ears warm without interfering with helmet fit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m so pro-helmet I wear a helmet 99%of the time. I know that a LOT of western riders don’t wear one🥺. Its better safe than sorry tho
I've noticed this as well. My barn is a mix everything disciplines, since it's fairly laid back. Both the Eventing riders and myself (Dressage) wear helmets 99% of the time. On the other end of the scale, with one exception our Western riders don't. We have one girl who switches it up about 50/50, but aside her mostly no helmets. Oh, and all the kids wear them even if their parents don't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts