The Horse Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Every ride. Even if I'm just hopping on bareback for a quick ride, yes. Always. I'm never without it if I'm on top of a horse. Safety first!
I've had some falls in the past & I was very lucky I had my helmet on, because I'm pretty sure I would've regretted not wearing it if I didn't.

Registered
I learnt to ride in a barn that was beside a pine forest with trails, as soon as we knew enough to move the horse, we were taken to the trails beside the barn to make it more fun, so we had a lot of "follow the leader" classes, where we were doing figures around the trees.
Tripping on hidden roots and holes?
Getting hit by small branches and vegetation?
So yeah, the helmet for me is a no brainer, specially on trail rides, but anywhere really.

Registered
Here in California it is a law that anyone under 18 wear a helmet if riding in a public area, unless you are in a parade. Also anyone riding after dark have to wear reflective gear or have a lamp. I have seen the results of people not wearing a helmet and hitting tree branches on trail, horse tripping over their own feet. Also had a guy who slipped off the mounting block and his horse stepped on him, a horse jumped sideways and rider wacked his head on the gate. Rather safe than sorry.

Registered
I have 2 horses: a 25 yr. old Paso Fino mare, Gypsy, and a 3 yr. 10 mo. old Arabian gelding.
Hi guys Just a quick question what do you guys think about riding helmets?
Do you wear one when you ride?
Yep. I've been riding for decades and never used to and have simply been lucky on the thankfully few falls I've had in the past in having no serious injuries. Now in my late 60's I have a 5 yr. old Arabian gelding who isn't ready for the trails yet, but when I mount up, on goes the helmet. I plan on many fun adventures on the trails for years and want to keep my head and bones in good form, so, yes - helmet! It takes one good crack on the skull to put you out - not worth it!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts