The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help because I am being a weenie. Lately I've been a bit unhappy with a few things regarding my horse's care. I've spoken up but things haven't changed. A stall opened up at the barn next door and I've decided to move him. I think this is a move that will benefit Dancer's welfare and my mind as well as my pocketbook. The new barn feeds a higher quality food and its smaller so I feel there will be one on one care. I have known the barn owner for 2 years or so. There are also a few more factors. Here is my dilemma. I'm scared to give my notice to my present BO. I really like her and the whole barn family. I don't want to hurt her feelings or have her mad at me but I need to do what's right for me and my horse. I still plan on riding with the present barn crew because my mom leases there but I don't want things to be awkward. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't want to hurt her feelings or have her mad at me but I need to do what's right for me and my horse.
If you are doing what is best for you and your horse then I wouldn't stress. Be honest, tell them you feel like it will be a better fit for you and your horse and you still want to maintain friendships and ride together. It's not personal... it's business, if your BO doesn't see it that way then give it some time and I am sure she will get over it. Good Luck and stay strong! If we lived our lives trying not to hurt peoples feelings we would all be miserable! :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree with the money. No one can argue with a savings of money. Every penny adds up. Go with that one, thank the barn owner for everything, express how happy you are that you are next door and can still be with her and everyone else.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I just don't want my BO to feel betrayed or anything. I just worry too much about what people think, etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago when I moved barns. You don't want to hurt anyones feelings and it is just plain akward. I told her and moved a few days later. I paid her for the month though and left...easier than the akwardness.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Just be realy with your BO. Tell her that you need to save a little money right now, and that your friends with the BO next door. If you really like your BO now maybe get her a gift to say thank you so there wont be any hard feelings. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
I did this ones and like the other barn was literally up the road! My old barn had closed and this facility had just opened up so I got a spot and it was great but was more expensive then where I was coming from, plus they had a limit on what they would feed and I had to pay extra. I also had to travel about 45 mins one way just to see him(so paying for gas stunk). I was there 6 months, then found the other barn up the road when my friend moved there, they fed more, charged a little less and helped me recoup some of the cost to go see him. I told her, she was very understanding and wished me well when I moved. Don't be scared :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just be realy with your BO. Tell her that you need to save a little money right now, and that your friends with the BO next door. If you really like your BO now maybe get her a gift to say thank you so there wont be any hard feelings. :)

Good idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I did it. I put in my notice. It was very emotional. I merely stated that I was leaving because of finances. My BO did have a few things to say about the barn next door to sway me but I can't always take what she says to heart. She tried to get out of me why I was leaving but I stuck to my guns. She even asked if it was bc of another boarder bc she'd rather have me stay and the other lady leave. I've shed many tears over this decision but I know its the right thing to do. Thanks to you guys for listening.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, after I gave my notice all the "talking" began. Nobody really said anything directly to me but they would say it to each other and to my mom. I think they knew my mom would talk to me. They would say things like the new barn doesn't watch the horses as closely or some other stuff that wasn't true. The BO even went as far as saying that my leasee thought we shouldn't move when my leasee hadn't seen the BO in over 2 weeks which was well before I gave notice! I ended up leaving early because the new barn offered my the rest of February free so their pony wouldn't be lonely as the other boarder had already left. So far I'm very happy and Dancer seems happy, too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No matter why anyone leaves - it is best to be honest. The truth ends up coming out.

Exactly. I didn't (still don't) want to burn any bridges in case I need to go back someday. I just explained that this is what I need to do right now and left it at that. I could've gone into more detail about why I was leaving but knowing my BO it would have ended up badly so I left it alone. Being a new horse owner I sure know a lot more now then I did 19 months ago when I got Dancer. I now know what I expect, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.