The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My paint filly Classy is turning two this coming June, and a couple weeks ago, I noticed she had a bit of a lump under her jaw mid-way. Thought "hmm, she must be getting a wolf tooth", and left it at that.

Yesterday I felt under there again, and it's turned into a bigger crusty kind of ugly abscess--and she won't let let me near there to look at it closer. No other signs of sickness, lethargy or inability to eat... is this a wolf tooth gone bad??? What should I do for her???

I'd take pics, but she's so furry with her winter coat (I live in western Canada), you wouldn't be able to see anything.

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
You need to call a vet so they can come out and puncture it and get rid of the infection and get her some antibiotics.

It's an infection that needs to be pierced so it can flow out.

·
Super Moderator
26,549 Posts
I'd place a call to the vet as well. Have you taken her temperature? She doesn't have a snotty nose does she?

It could be a splinter that has abscessed, a tooth, a puncture, strangles... so many things. How crusty huge is it? clean it up with some betadine solution (if she has no fever) and see if you can't tell if it's a cut or an abscess...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.