The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse who is 16.2hh and I’ve only had him for a couple months, decided to start bolting on the lunge line when I ask him to lope recently. I don’t know if I should stop him and back him up and make him go again, or keep him running. Any advice helps! Thanks!

·
Registered
49,421 Posts
you mean he used to canter nicely, but now he bolts? how big is the circle you have him on when you ask for a canter? how old is he, and does he have any phsyical issues that could make cantering on a circle hard for him. I ask becuase two things that come to mind are: he is unbalanced at such a small canter, and if you are holding him hard, and pulling his head in, it makes him even more unbalanced. fear of this unbalance makes him run.
OR, he has an issue in his body or feet that make him hurt to canter on a circle that small. that would make him bolt, too. Pain and fear will make a horse bolt.
how are you lunging? circle size and equipment? how about riding? does he bolt into a canter in arena or on trail? how old is he?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Do you know that he has been taught to lunge? Some horses haven't. What is your experience teaching a horse to lunge? This has happened to me with my horses so I had to learn how to teach a horse to lunge properly. If they start to bolt, I take it down a notch. Get them moving nicely at a job before asking for a lope, and at first, be content with just a few strides. Keep sessions very short. Lunging should not be done for any length of time anyway. Ask for the lope somewhere where they are less likely to bolt, like facing a fence (not the barn or gate) and ask calmly.

But there are a lot of other factors we don't know since you haven't given a lot of detail. You could ask someone more knowledgeable to see if they can get him to lope without bolting. Sometimes, horses just get a little excited, and will calm down after the initial bolt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you mean he used to canter nicely, but now he bolts? how big is the circle you have him on when you ask for a canter? how old is he, and does he have any phsyical issues that could make cantering on a circle hard for him. I ask becuase two things that come to mind are: he is unbalanced at such a small canter, and if you are holding him hard, and pulling his head in, it makes him even more unbalanced. fear of this unbalance makes him run.
OR, he has an issue in his body or feet that make him hurt to canter on a circle that small. that would make him bolt, too. Pain and fear will make a horse bolt.
how are you lunging? circle size and equipment? how about riding? does he bolt into a canter in arena or on trail? how old is he?
Ok hopefully I answer all the questions to make it more clear! He is 6 years old he used to lope great until recently. It started when he bucked me off randomly and he’s usually really good and respectful. Now when I’ve been lunging him he runs off like he’s scared or something but he’s done it multiple times and only at a lope. His hock is still and has some issues but that’s about it. His feet and everything is good we just got everything checked. He has a decent sized circle that should give him plenty of room for a big horse. However I do tend to pull on his head a little honestly. He has only been the arena recently as I am trying to sort it out. It all started when he randomly bucked me off one day. I got back on and he took off when I asked him to lope. And now occasionally he will take off when I ask him to lope on the lunge line. He was thoroughly checked by the vet. So it’s nothing physical. I don’t know if it’s because of lack of respect. Hopefully that clears it up a little bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Th
Do you know that he has been taught to lunge? Some horses haven't. What is your experience teaching a horse to lunge? This has happened to me with my horses so I had to learn how to teach a horse to lunge properly. If they start to bolt, I take it down a notch. Get them moving nicely at a job before asking for a lope, and at first, be content with just a few strides. Keep sessions very short. Lunging should not be done for any length of time anyway. Ask for the lope somewhere where they are less likely to bolt, like facing a fence (not the barn or gate) and ask calmly.

But there are a lot of other factors we don't know since you haven't given a lot of detail. You could ask someone more knowledgeable to see if they can get him to lope without bolting. Sometimes, horses just get a little excited, and will calm down after the initial bolt.
That makes sense thank you. He is 6 years old and he usually lopes great. It’s just been recently he takes off. He knows how to lunge and usually lunges pretty good. You can read one of my other responses that has more detail about him. As for me I am not a complete beginner but I am not experienced, I also work with a trainer. My horse is a barrel horse in case that helps in some way. Thanks for replying and helping out.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Th

That makes sense thank you. He is 6 years old and he usually lopes great. It’s just been recently he takes off. He knows how to lunge and usually lunges pretty good. You can read one of my other responses that has more detail about him. As for me I am not a complete beginner but I am not experienced, I also work with a trainer. My horse is a barrel horse in case that helps in some way. Thanks for replying and helping out.
Ok, yes, that helps. I'm no pro either, to be clear! But I see this all the time and when I do, I go back to the basics. Walk calmly, trot calmly, stop. I do that for a few days. Then I add in the canter (lope) and if the horse bolts, I would go back to walk/trot, but it really depends on how it plays out. Will the horse bolt, then go back to loping calmly eventually? If it keeps re-occurring, then I might not lope on the lunge line until this gets sorted out by someone more experienced. You said he also bucked at the lope when you were riding? That doesn't sound good. What was going on when that happened?

I know a vet has looked at him, but I have a horse who is not quite right, and multiple vets have seen him multiple times. Vets can miss things. Or it might be behavioral. You could try asking someone to take a video and post it in here for advice on whether it looks like pain or behavioral.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts