The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a rear hoof of my 10mo old donkey, (Jack, awaiting to geld). His backs are worse than the front. And even a light rasping shows the red. At first I thought maybe I trimmed him to short, but it persists. I’ve been trimming donkeys for a few years and have never seen this! He isn’t tender footed at all, runs, plays. He doesn’t get grains, just grass hay, and occasional pasture time. (Max 2-3 times a week for 1-4 hours) his confirmation isn’t great but that’s ok he is a pasture friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Diet change usually. Sometimes even dewormers can cause this.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am not a vet but it looks like some abscess going on.My black smith says use iodine on the hoff for a week.It not only healths the abscess but also toughens the hoff.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s in all four hooves 😞. So I’m not thinking abscess. I was thinking diet but does it look like his white line (laminae) is stretched? Worried if he genetically or dietary foundering?

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I have no idea about donkeys at all, sorry. When I add something to my horses' diet or worm them, they get little streaks of red, I asked the farrier and a vet about it the time, this was ages ago. Both gave the same answer, diet change and or a dewormer.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
He is ten months old ---- my foundered 22 year old never had soles that looked like that.

You need to get the vet involved in those hooves "yesterday". Gelding is not going to be an option until whatever is causing those hoof issues is resolved. My knee jerk reaction is major founder from something but again ------ he is only ten months old-----

Also, is that left rear leg swollen of is still covered in a thick layer of winter hair? If you're in the northern hemisphere, he should be nearly or completely shed out by now.

Please get the vet out, quickly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is very hairy! Almost like wool, just body clipped him no swelling. I just threw in that he will eventually would be gelded. His boys haven’t even descended yet. Because idk if anyone would need/want to know that. Definitely am asking a few vet friends also 🙂

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also a thought I did find I think Lice today when I body clipped him, we will be treating asap. Could that cause hoof problems like this you think?

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
I've bought a colt and a mare that had lice, neither had those kind of conditions in their hooves. As strange as it would be for one that young I think those hooves look foundered.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Your little guy from the pic of both donkeys looks like a mini or dwarf? They can sometimes be a genetic mess. Those hooves are sure telling some kind of story. Please let us know what you find out, he's such a cutie!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I know of mini donkey hooves, but that left back has rings. I would be worried about those. Agree with others, you need a vet out.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
This may be a dumb question, because I don't know much about donkeys, but aren't those heels low with a broken-back pastern angle? That would be low heel on a horse, and I thought donkeys were naturally more upright than horses???
Pretty much word for word my thoughts lolol.

Those feet are very wrong. I am glad the OP is checking with some vets, though I would say to just cut to the chase and have someone out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes they are very low. You are correct! Has been since birth. We have been working with his feet to try to get them more upright. His fronts are normal. These are to slopped

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
SO weird that his back feet are the problem. I would say they are extremely foundered, but he's 10 months and they are the backs...and the fronts are fine.

OP have you spoken to the vet yet?

One thought I had is to take him off the grass, sounds like he is on it pretty erratically and while it may not be hurting it also won't hurt to take him off of it and may help. I would definitely treat it like founder. I can't imagine trying to trim feet like that, if he was born that way (weird enough) you can't fix it with trimming because the blood supply is so low, must be frustrating.

I'm surprised @loosie hasn't found this thread yet, she may have some good thoughts.

Oh, and while I keep on forgetting since I'm so concerned about those feet- those donkeys are beyond adorable!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts