The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help deciding between saddles as I'm kinda torn. I've recently stumbled upon older Ainsley & Anthill event saddles. I know nothing about the brands, did some research & they appear to be of good quality. Just kinda need to know if I should risk it or not. Or keep with my current search of a Collegiate Sr. Event.

1st: Ainsley Chester Event Saddle, 18" Seat, MW

My worries: The tear. I know when it's on the seat you have to replace the entire seat. I'm hopeful maybe it can just be glued for short term.

2nd: Anthill Event Saddle, 18", Size Unknown

My worries: It's black. I plan to take this into the hunter rings as well & black is obviously a no-no. It's got so much fading though I was wondering if I could wing it >.>

Now I'm in a 17" County Competitor Dressage saddle & 17.5" Camelot CC Saddle. My previous Dressage saddle was an 18" Albion. I'm also worried these might be too large for my butt. Then I'm also not worried because I did fit into that Albion. The Anthill also appears to be a smaller 18". And I'm going to ask for all measurements on it so it might be an out anyway if it's not M or MW.

Or should I just pass & wait for a Collegiate Sr. Event when I finally sell my dang Aussie? The only reason I'm considering these two is because from what I've read they're excellent saddles worth buying & they're at cheap as can be prices.

·
Registered
49,754 Posts
they both look like they have different panel types; gusseted on the lower one and not gusseted on the upper. this will make a big differnece on how they fit your horse. have you tried them each on your horse?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I learn something new every day >.> my mare has a long flat back, but kinda sharkfin withers. So I'm thinking non gusseted won't fit her right
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
15,234 Posts
I would pass on the brown one with the tear on the seat. It also has a tear on the stirrup leather keeper and flap and appears it may have a very worn flap where your knee would be positioned.
The second saddle {black} has a wear pattern that you might want to consider in how you sit. The stirrup bar is pretty prominent rubbing on the underside of the small {skirt} flap. It also has a pretty nasty water stain to the flap...could it have damaged the flocking or leather???

I would want to see the billetts and flap undersides of both these saddles too along with good gullet and seat padded undersides with the saddle sitting bare on a horses back...looking for even packing of the saddles undersides of the seat and also good pictures of the actual saddle flap knee rolls...

For the right price you can overlook much though...

jmo...

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
The bump is from the stirrup leather buckle. This is common. If you opt for the first saddle, the tear can be stitched using a baseball stitch which draws it closed as you go along. The stitches need to be 1/8" away from the edge and 1/8" apart. The tear should make for a low price in your favor. It looks like this saddle would be a medium in width, not for a chunky monkey.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I would pass on the brown one with the tear on the seat. It also has a tear on the stirrup leather keeper and flap and appears it may have a very worn flap where your knee would be positioned.
The second saddle {black} has a wear pattern that you might want to consider in how you sit. The stirrup bar is pretty prominent rubbing on the underside of the small {skirt} flap. It also has a pretty nasty water stain to the flap...could it have damaged the flocking or leather???

I would want to see the billetts and flap undersides of both these saddles too along with good gullet and seat padded undersides with the saddle sitting bare on a horses back...looking for even packing of the saddles undersides of the seat and also good pictures of the actual saddle flap knee rolls...

For the right price you can overlook much though...

jmo...
No it doesn't. That is the style of the saddle. A lot of saddles the excess leather from the stirrup tucks under the flap like this one.

OP I would go for the Ainsley. I looked it up on ebay and you can't go wrong for the price. Its a nice saddle and would get you through the hunters as well. Yes you might have to get the seat replaced but you could probably do a temporary fix on it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The billets are clean on both saddles. The Ainsley underside looks good, there's no pictures of the Anthill underside.

Corporal - that was my worry but I looked back through my pictures of me in my Albion & I think I looked alright. But willing to take second opinions. I know I feel more secure in my County than the Albion, but because of different reasons than seat size. The County feels to have a deeper seat, it's more broken in, & the leather on the Albion was SLICK - which tweaked me out lol. Me on the bay is my Competitor 17" seat. Me on the palomino is the 18" Albion.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And this is the back of the mare in question... Online is unfortunately the only way so far I've been able to search out decent saddles. There's been nothing in my area. Which is why I've been trying to stick to good brands that would have an easy resell IF I needed to.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I think the 18" looks great for you. You have long legs. Which I envy. I still say go for the Ainsley!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the 18" looks great for you. You have long legs. Which I envy. I still say go for the Ainsley!
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the first time I've ever heard that lol. The Ainsley might have already ended, but I don't think it got any takers. I'll ask the seller if they're planning on re-listing it. Then at least I'll have that to also choose from as I browse >.>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.