The Horse Forum banner

Help figuring out the new colts color and possible daddy

989 12
Hello!

Long story short - we have a new healthy colt! This colt was conceived without my families knowledge. The person who had been riding the mare in playdays and using for training lessons has denied allowing breeding to happen... Lesson learned!! We do have a stud draft on our property who has never (to our knowledge) been around this mare. He has zero stud like tendencies and is two pastures away from her. The mare is 21yrs old with no previous pregnancies and was able to deliver without complications. Thank god! We are just trying to figure out the colorings and possible daddy of this precious baby. Is he an appaloosa? Is the mare a grey or an appaloosa?

Attached photos are of the mare, colt, draft stud (photo taken about 1.5 years ago), and the possible stud we think might be the daddy.

Thoughts on who you think might be the daddy based on markings/color of baby and momma? Or could it be a completely different stud!

Horse Sky Eye Tree Working animal
Horse Plant Fence Tree Liver
Horse Helmet Plant Working animal Saddle

Horse Sky Horse tack Working animal Bit
Working animal Fawn Wood Mane Terrestrial animal
Horse Liver Grass Working animal Terrestrial animal
Fawn Door Terrestrial animal Wood Snout
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,091 Posts
Chestnut/sorrel Appaloosa colt, so unless mare is an Appaloosa that is gray, it is not the draft. Mare is gray. So whatever her base color she carries e. It looks the App is red but it wouldn't matter. He just needs to carry an e as well. As for the blanket - if she is an Appaloosa and the gray covers her pattern it could be either as sire depending on what genes she passed.

Two pastures wouldn't make a difference for one of mine. He'd have done the deed and been back in his own pasture for breakfast. Unless you have seen the draft around a mare in heat then you don't know how he would act. Some are sneaky.

· Registered
817 Posts
If the second photo is the colt you are asking about and the later photos are the Appaloosa with another foal he has fathered, I would hazard a guess he is not the father. Your colt looks just like mom and handsome fella. It may be that the draft colouring is more dominant than the Appaloosa colouring. Could you do a DNA test? Not sure how pricy those are for horses but I’d be very curious …

· Super Moderator
17,091 Posts
The first two pictures are of the draft stallion @Part-Boarder the next are the Appaloosa that she thinks may also be father. Baby has Appaloosa patterning so if the mare is not an Appaloosa hiding a pattern under gray then the baby daddy is the Appaloosa. Because of appearance of mom's face it is possible she is an Appaloosa and you are back to square one except because of genetics and not knowing what mom carries to pass odds are App daddy.

To parent verify you'd need hair samples from all three or know their registered name and whether they have DNA on file with that registry. Cost varies by what you need done. If it is matching the colt to horses with DNA on file with same lab/registry then usually $45. To do all four and rule out one (or both) could get expensive.

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,738 Posts
The first two pictures are of the draft stallion @Part-Boarder the next are the Appaloosa that she thinks may also be father. Baby has Appaloosa patterning so if the mare is not an Appaloosa hiding a pattern under gray then the baby daddy is the Appaloosa. Because of appearance of mom's face it is possible she is an Appaloosa and you are back to square one except because of genetics and not knowing what mom carries to pass odds are App daddy.

To parent verify you'd need hair samples from all three or know their registered name and whether they have DNA on file with that registry. Cost varies by what you need done. If it is matching the colt to horses with DNA on file with same lab/registry then usually $45. To do all four and rule out one (or both) could get expensive.
I was confused myself on the pictures, lol, I thought the draft was the baby that was being asked about but then saw the pictures of the foal and was like hummm. Thanks for the explaining of the pictures @QtrBel .
Now I will add my 2 cents worth, the Baby daddy would be the App stud, I dont dont see any draft in the baby at all, I cant tell if the mare is App but its possible, I'm betting the Appy stud is baby daddy.

· Super Moderator
17,091 Posts
In all the draft crosses I've bred or was responsible for the foals didn't always show draft influence immediately. I agree in that I think this foal is likely sired by an App stallion. The mare's genes though could solely be responsible for pattern if she carries those genes. I suspect under that gray is an Appaloosa.

Reactions: 300478

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,738 Posts
I was not around many Drafts but a friend of mine years back would cross some of his mares with a Percheron Stud, he had wagons he liked training his horses and ponies to pull for the fun of it, when his mares foaled the bone structure on the babys were a bit different then any babys I have ever been around, there was just something about the bone structure these babys had, they were thicker and the babys seem to be a tad thicker all over not much but I could tell the different in them compared to your non drafts.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would say that daddy is the sorrel appy, just like baby. Mare does look like she could be a gray appy. That poor draft stud is in poor shape.
That’s what we are thinking too. The draft was a rescue, If I remember correctly these photos of him were from the day we got him. Never had a draft before but he’s the sweetest most gentle horse. He kisses all over my 4 month old baby.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In all the draft crosses I've bred or was responsible for the foals didn't always show draft influence immediately. I agree in that I think this foal is likely sired by an App stallion. The mare's genes though could solely be responsible for pattern if she carries those genes. I suspect under that gray is an Appaloosa.
What’re things you look for that are give always for a draft cross horse? If the baby is draft and just isn’t showing it right now, when do you think he’d start to show it by? I know the hooves size and hair around hooves as well as general size over all but that’s it. Never seen a baby draft. Our stud was like 10 months when we got him. You have been super helpful!! Thank you for all of your input!

· Super Moderator
17,091 Posts
There are no always or absolutes. It is all a product of the genes they inherited and mothers capacity to limit growth. After a couple of weeks because their growth rate - in my experience - is faster they end up ahead of where the same age counter parts of non crosses are growth wise. Some will have heavier bone, some will look odd with seemingly random parts put together and others end up being a taller version of the saddle horse parent.

· Banned
10 Posts
Mom definitely looks like a gray appy to me. If you wet her down, you should be able to see wether or not her skin is spotted. If it is, she’s an app. Going just off of color, it could be either stud. You should be able to make a better guess once he’s a bit bigger and more developed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.