The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have few questions about horse related stuff that I don't understand completly or am not sure if I got it right. I think there may be some other people too and this could be our I don't understand thread? :p

Is there a difference between canter and gallop or does it mean the same?

Sweet food means every food that contains sugar or only specific one?

Neck reining means that horse obeys you with just pressing rein on one side of his neck?

I'll add it more later...
Thanks for answers :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question:
Some people say they feed grass hay. What other hay could it be? Since the hay is dry grass it doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Basically, a canter is a three beat gait and a gallop is a four beat gait.

From my understanding Sweet Feed is a type of grain mix that you can buy. It contains molasses, oats, dried corn, etc.

Neck reining means that horse obeys you with just pressing rein on one side of his neck?
Neck reining is when the rider is holding the reins with one hand with a considerable loop in the reins. The rider moves their hand to the direction that they want to go and the horse turns. This, however, takes alot of training to get to that point. The horses can feel the change in the reins and the body of the rider.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks this was very helpful :)

Basically, a canter is a three beat gait and a gallop is a four beat gait.
Haha, in my language gallop means 3 beat gait, and for 4 beat it's another word that doesn't make any sense in english.

I've heard only about grass hay and alfalfa. :shock:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts

A canter is the slower gait that has 3 beats. See this video at 1:30

A gallop is also called a run where there are 4 beats (much like you see with racehorses)

Around my area, sweet feed means any feed that is a combination of grains that also has either sugar or molasses added.

Basically, yes. The horse moves away from the rein pressure on the side of it's neck much the same way it moves away from leg pressure.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, galop (in my language) means canter :p

Neck reining really seems very useful :D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
May I ask what your main language is?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
It's slovene. Have you heard of Slovenia before?
How do you call 4-beat gait there? I know several languages, but not yours. :)

Grass hay in fact can be interpreted differently. Like around here "grass hay" means just a mix of different grasses (kinda pasture grass). However you can also buy timothy or orchard hay, which technically is also "grass", but when you buy/sell it you specify. "Grass hay" usually cheaper than "orchard hay" or "timothy hay" (I feed timothy BTW). And of course there is alfalfa and alfalfa/grass (grass/timothy/orchard) mix hay. :wink:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4-beat gait is hitri dir, which could be translate to fast dir... Dir means running very quickly, dirka is race.
Some people also say short gallop (canter) and fast gallop (gallop).

There is orchard hay too? We have an orchard at home, but grass isn't edible, since pesticids and that stuffs are used on trees.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
4-beat gait is hitri dir, which could be translate to fast dir... Dir means running very quickly, dirka is race.
Some people also say short gallop (canter) and fast gallop (gallop).

There is orchard hay too? We have an orchard at home, but grass isn't edible, since pesticids and that stuffs are used on trees.
Interesting... I wonder what other language yours is close to.

Yes, orchard & timothy are most popular in my area (I know there are others like brome, bermuda (towards south), etc.). I did try orchard hay once and for whatever reason it did smell funny to me (and the horse's poop smelt HORRIBLE unlike when I feed them timothy :shock: ).

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder what other language yours is close to.
Slovene is a slavic (slavonic) language, in that group are also Russian, Ukrainian, Czech, Slovak, Polish... The most similiar to Slovenian are Croatian and Serbian.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have another question :p

What lmao means and which words are for OP? I know it means a person that started a thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts