The Horse Forum banner

help for trimming whiskers with electric trimmers

2492 11
Does anyone have the problem of a horse that wont let you trim his/her whiskers? My Arabian goes NUTS when i try to do her whiskers. I can do her
ears and bridal path no problem but not the whiskers. i have really super quiet cordless trimmers but something about them being by her nose i think freaks her out. I could twitch her to trim her but i'd SO rather not. If anyone else has this problem and has overcome it please share how you did it :)
thanks,
WAF
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
868 Posts
hehe I couldn't help but smile when I saw this.

:)

My mare did this too, and someone pointed out to me "well wouldn't you twitch if something was vibrating ever so softly on your nose?!" :wink:

Anyways, try to put the clippers on vibrate, rub them up and down her neck, then her face, then her nose. She should get used to the vibrating and then knock it off. My guess is that it tickles.

If she seems genuinely scared of the trimmers, then you can use the same method of rubbing them all over her face, not just her whiskers, to desensitize her. Also, when trimming, try not to just barely touch her, as that may tickle or startle her.

I've heard of people putting them in with grain in a big ole bucket so the horse eats near one, never tried it, but maybe it would work, just to get her used to the idea?

Oh and by the way there are little razor-like trimmers that require no electricity. They are like little disposable shavors for horse whiskers. I believe they are available at Horse.com or Statelinetack.com.

Hope this helps :)

· Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah why didn't i think of that!!

Oh yeah now that i remember i did see some blue thing that kind of looked like a book of matches that is supposed to be for whisker trimming......
i have NO idea how they work but I'm sure that i could figure it out.
thanks so much i was coming about it from the wrong direction i think :)
i guess hand sisors could work too although not as close. i tried to "desensitize" her by moving them down her neck and i don't know she just went nuts when i put them by her muzzle. i should mention that she had a bald shaved face and head when i bought her IN JANUARY so she might be thinking : "OH He** NO, NO way I'm going through THAT again!" :) Honestly can't say that i blame her.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
Why do you want to trim them? They are there to tell her if she is going to bump her nose on something. It's like a last line of defense just like eyelashes are.

· Registered
17,286 Posts
Think of it from the horse's point of view. They sound like one big ugly fly that wants to go up it's nostril. I've had good luck with clicker training. Place the clippers on her jaw, if she will allow, make a click sound and offer a wee reward. Continue to do this gradually working your way down her jaw. Watch her reactions and stop in her "safe" zone. A horse that wouldn't let me near him with a sprayer allowed me to spray him all over with clicker training. Food is a great incentive.

· Registered
8,193 Posts
I agree with above. I'm not one to trim whiskers. If I have a big competition coming up, I will just trim the ends neatly with scissors to shorten them and tidy them up if necessary, but never shave all the way down to skin.
Though I know if you're into serious showing this is the done thing? Glad I'm in a dressage, I don't think I could cope spending all that prep time!

· Registered
3,703 Posts
i religously trim all of my lots whiskers and beards. Have done so for the last 20 years and have never had an issue with horses being unable to feel stuff or not knowing where thier noses are.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
i religously trim all of my lots whiskers and beards. Have done so for the last 20 years and have never had an issue with horses being unable to feel stuff or not knowing where thier noses are.
But why do you do it? Is it the norm for showing? Do you get docked points for a horse looking like a horse should? Just doesn't make sense to me.

· Registered
97 Posts
But why do you do it? Is it the norm for showing? Do you get docked points for a horse looking like a horse should? Just doesn't make sense to me.
It is the norm for showing. Alot of judges feel that long whiskers take away from the nice 'tight' and neat look that they want to see in the show ring. I only clip whiskers when a show is coming up but I also don't have any problems with a horse that does not have them.
I admit that I'm a little shocked when I see a horse in any show ring with whiskers lol, but I understand the reasoning behind somebody who would never clip them.

· Registered
3,703 Posts
I do it because I show at a high level. Trimming whiskers and beards is normal. Taking them off creates the slick and refined look needed in the ring. This is the same reason that I strip out ears in the plaited ponies and trim up ears in the native ponies.

Its the same reason I pull manes and tails and cut tails to an apropraite length. I like the look and it does them no harm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.