The Horse Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
WOW. I didn't even know that was a thing!!!!!! I guess that could be contributing to it- but I just thought he needed the minerals more. 🤷🏽‍♀️ He usually will lick it in the morning (after breakfast) and in the evening (after dinner). I go through alot of salt between the three of my horses. But I have noticed that this guy is eating A TON more than the others- I thought it was because he had diarrhea and needed to replenish his salts he was losing. I just don't know how I'd limit the salt... I guess just put it in the feeder like twice a week or so? I'll definitely try rationing it. Thank you SO much! I really had no idea.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
HOLY COW! I had no idea that was even a thing! Thank you SO SO SO much!!! He does eat ALOT of salt- I go through a 4 lb salt block FAST. Of course, I have the other two licking it but only occasionally. Definitely not as much as this guy. He will sit there and lick it in the morning after feeding time, and in the evening after feeding time. I thought it was because he was losing alot of minerals with the diarrhea, but I guess he just likes it? I'm going to start rationing it. This totally could be the problem. I'll let you know if he gets better without all that salt. THANK YOU! This could have ended really badly.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
No, we don't have sand in the pasture, so it's literally impossible. He's alot better since I wormed him, only occasionally watering down his legs, and I'm cleaning it twice a day. I'm going to worm him in a couple of days one more time and that should do it. I'll let y'all know if it doesn't stop the problem. Thanks so much!
It does not need to be sand. It could be dirt. You can get sand and dirt in baled hay. They can lick the dirt. You cannot find sand on my place, yet I have had horses sand colic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh, ok. I really have not heard about sand colic much, as I live in oklahoma, but I do know a bit about it. I mean there's places he could eat dirt... I think he would be worse if he had that though, don't you think? He seems a bit better, he passes gas without watering, but he still has a bit of it running does his legs, so he still has it. I took the salt away last night. I'm still giving him Opti-zyme, but I doubt if it's helping any at this point. I'm really flustered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok, so last night I mixed in a very small amount of senior feed in with his oats.... And bam. It was really bad this morning. So the senior feed has a ton to do with it. Could it be he's just recovering from the feed that his tummy hated? I'm thinking it's a combination of a bad case of worms and the old feed. And the salt wasn't helping either.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if your feeding hay right now but I know a lot of people who's horses have had the same problem. They believe its from the drying agent that some hay gets made with.
Not sure if this applies to you but its good to ask your hay source if they use it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure if your feeding hay right now but I know a lot of people who's horses have had the same problem. They believe its from the drying agent that some hay gets made with.
Not sure if this applies to you but its good to ask your hay source if they use it.

Yeah, I'm not haying right now. They still have good grass.

But thank you. 😊 Very good to know.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
If your hay has a drying agent on it, you must be in the eastern part of the USA. I think this is more for grass hay than alfalfa. Are you feeding grass hay ? I would try alfalfa. Get some hay pellets or some bales. I would also try the psyllium . If there is something in his gut bothering him, the psyllium should push it out. Also try soem bio sponge. You can purchase a tube of it . I would stop the grain . It could be some plant in the pasture.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts