The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My horse was attacked by dogs, they severed both her deep digital flexor and superficial digital flexor tendons!

this was about 10 days ago it was infected but I gave her a shot everyday for 10 days as the vet instructed, the infection is gone but so is all my money, I can't afford for the vet to come out and cast it, so he showed me how and I bought all the supplies, that vet is getting a Ferrier to make a special shoe for her.

She is my only horse and the only horse I want, she is only 3 she hasn't finished training and probably never will but I can't put her down!!
she means the world to me, she is my best friend and is so full of life and spirit.
Any suggestions of what else I can do??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My horse was attacked by dogs, they severed both her deep digital flexor and superficial digital flexor tendons!

this was about 10 days ago it was infected but I gave her a shot everyday for 10 days as the vet instructed, the infection is gone but so is all my money, I can't afford for the vet to come out and cast it, so he showed me how and I bought all the supplies, that vet is getting a Ferrier to make a special shoe for her.

She is my only horse and the only horse I want, she is only 3 she hasn't finished training and probably never will but I can't put her down!!
she means the world to me, she is my best friend and is so full of life and spirit.
Any suggestions of what else I can do??
Please help me!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened! It always scary when are best friends especially are best animal friends get hurt. I unfortunately don't really have any advice expect to the best you can do which you already are. Does she seem comfortable, not in any pain?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so sorry that happened! It always scary when are best friends especially are best animal friends get hurt. I unfortunately don't really have any advice expect to the best you can do which you already are. Does she seem comfortable, not in any pain?
No I have her on stall rest so she cant use it very much so she isn't in pain

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you cannot afford proper medical treatment for her, then the proper course of action is putting her down. It's the responsibility of horse ownership.
If she was in pain I would do it, But the vet says there is still some hope and what I am doing is just as good as what he could do. i would NEVER let oakley just suffer if there wasn't hope of her getting better

·
Super Moderator
26,558 Posts
I have a horse that severed the tendons in one of her back legs. I took her to the equine hospital for surgery. They casted her there and kept her for ten days. When they sent her home she was wrapped in with the cast as support. I had her on stall rest for 6 weeks with bandage changes every other day. I also had her in standing wraps so that the other legs didn't blow up. She did heal but she has a mechanical lameness, meaning there is kind of a hitch to her stride. She isn't hurting but the stride is slight off due to mobility. I have shown and placed on her since the injury but she never really was one of my favorite riding horses so she has always had more down time then riding time.

When her injury occurred I was given three choices, the first being put her down. The second choice was stitch her up, give her antibiotics, place her on stall rest and keep it wrapped. As long as infection didn't set in, she would probably recover but to what level of soundness - we'd only know once she was healed. The third option was the surgery. The end cost was close to 6 grand. We only paid 4500 for her by the way.

With that second option the biggest threat was going to be gang green setting in. At almost the same time that my horse had her injury there was a horse at another barn that had nearly the same injury. That horse ended up healing without any major issues but developed string halt. I believe the girl still rides and shows at the local level on that horse.

If you are going to try to get your horse to pull through then you are going to need to be sure to follow the vets directions as closely as possible. The bandages and the wraps are expensive but at least you can buy the supplies on a weekly basis. Do not try to rush this, pay attention to the signs for any type of infection or discomfort that is more than what is expected. This is a huge injury and with it being an animal attack it's not just a slice. It's probably more like hamburger.

She needs to be on stall rest and you need to be vigilant. There is no magic fix though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a horse that severed the tendons in one of her back legs. I took her to the equine hospital for surgery. They casted her there and kept her for ten days. When they sent her home she was wrapped in with the cast as support. I had her on stall rest for 6 weeks with bandage changes every other day. I also had her in standing wraps so that the other legs didn't blow up. She did heal but she has a mechanical lameness, meaning there is kind of a hitch to her stride. She isn't hurting but the stride is slight off due to mobility. I have shown and placed on her since the injury but she never really was one of my favorite riding horses so she has always had more down time then riding time.

When her injury occurred I was given three choices, the first being put her down. The second choice was stitch her up, give her antibiotics, place her on stall rest and keep it wrapped. As long as infection didn't set in, she would probably recover but to what level of soundness - we'd only know once she was healed. The third option was the surgery. The end cost was close to 6 grand. We only paid 4500 for her by the way.

With that second option the biggest threat was going to be gang green setting in. At almost the same time that my horse had her injury there was a horse at another barn that had nearly the same injury. That horse ended up healing without any major issues but developed string halt. I believe the girl still rides and shows at the local level on that horse.

If you are going to try to get your horse to pull through then you are going to need to be sure to follow the vets directions as closely as possible. The bandages and the wraps are expensive but at least you can buy the supplies on a weekly basis. Do not try to rush this, pay attention to the signs for any type of infection or discomfort that is more than what is expected. This is a huge injury and with it being an animal attack it's not just a slice. It's probably more like hamburger.

She needs to be on stall rest and you need to be vigilant. There is no magic fix though.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Years ago my upset neighbors came over and said your horse killed our dog. I said oh I am so sorry. They said they found their Shih tzu poodle in my pasture was taken to the vet. It's back was broken and it had to be put to sleep. So I went to look at my mare and she had two deep fang punctures on her hind leg.

I just read what happened to your horse. This was no Shih tzu bite. I am so sorry. People who let their dogs run loose should be shot. The dogs I mean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Years ago my upset neighbors came over and said your horse killed our dog. I said oh I am so sorry. They said they found their schitzu poodle in my pasture was taken to the vet. It's back was broken and it had to be put to sleep. So I went to look at my mare and she had two deep fang punctures on her hind leg.

I just read what happened to your horse. This was no ****zu bite. I am so sorry. People who let their dogs run loose should be shot. The dogs I mean.
All my neighbours have dogs and all of them say that their dogs didn't do it..
most the dogs are labs

·
Banned
0 Posts
most the dogs are labs
First, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I know with this being your only horse and how young she is how traumatic this must be for you. I hope she can pull through.

You're not sure which dogs did this? If you do, I would be taking them to small claims court.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
most the dogs are labs
I'm so sorry. Reading about your experiences really hit me. This could so easily be me. My young horse (or one of my other girls) injured and not the money to get her all the expensive care. I so hope you two pull through ok.

Have you considered coyotes being the cause? I'm not sure where you live, but I would consider it. A neighbour's dog here was mauled by coyotes not long ago. Poor thing came here (she knew our place and was good buddies with our dogs) but collapsed in the trees so I had to follow my (bloody, from rubbing up on her) dogs to find her. Vets couldn't save her. Of course if it's a dog (or multiple) that is known for aggression and this kind of behaviour, it makes it a lot easier. But otherwise, owners usually know their dogs well (generalizing here of course. It's hard to tell without actually being in the situation). It would really take a different (read crazy) dog to attack a horse, I think.

·
Registered
741 Posts
A couple things come to mind, more knowledgeable members here probably would know answers.
First I'm wondering if the veterinarian could arrange a payment plan. It wouldn't be so overwhelming that way.
Another thought is a neighbors Dad had a horse with a major and expensive injury. He had her transported to a university about 90 miles away that has an equine center. They kept her a few weeks and she's okay. He had to pay but it was a whole lot less than the veterinarian would have charged.
Then I wonder if leg wraps would help where dogs and coyotes are.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I know with this being your only horse and how young she is how traumatic this must be for you. I hope she can pull through.

You're not sure which dogs did this? If you do, I would be taking them to small claims court.
I pretty sure I know who's dogs did it but when I told them I thought their dogs did it, they promised that it was impossible but gave me $100 for vet bills

They are the only people who have more than one dog,
and the vet said it was impossible for just one dog to do so much damage

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
I'm so sorry. Reading about your experiences really hit me. This could so easily be me. My young horse (or one of my other girls) injured and not the money to get her all the expensive care. I so hope you two pull through ok.

Have you considered coyotes being the cause? I'm not sure where you live, but I would consider it. A neighbour's dog here was mauled by coyotes not long ago. Poor thing came here (she knew our place and was good buddies with our dogs) but collapsed in the trees so I had to follow my (bloody, from rubbing up on her) dogs to find her. Vets couldn't save her. Of course if it's a dog (or multiple) that is known for aggression and this kind of behaviour, it makes it a lot easier. But otherwise, owners usually know their dogs well (generalizing here of course. It's hard to tell without actually being in the situation). It would really take a different (read crazy) dog to attack a horse, I think.
The vet said it was definitely dogs not coyotes, He thinks she might've got a scratch when the dogs were chasing her and that kinda put them into a frenzy of sorts.

Thank you for helping me out!

·
Registered
558 Posts

In my experince in the states of Texas and also Oregon, coyotes do not have the jaw power that can rip and rupture the hind leg tendons of horses. The dog breed that can easily do this would be the pitbull and PB types. Although any large breed or mongrels IN PACKS have the disposition and ability to destroy muscle and tendon tissue of a large animal such as a horse.

If there were no witnesses of the dogs in the area or of the attack it will be difficult to bring charges. I advise starting a Go Fund Me account to try to help pay this extensive vet bill. The Dogsbite.org organisation could be of help and can be contacted through their website.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
OK. That makes sense as well, @AragoASB - I hadn't thought of the jaw power. It's good to have that sort of clarity then, OP. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Mireyah

·
Super Moderator
23,225 Posts
People who let their dogs run loose should be shot. The dogs I mean.
Nah, edit out the last bit! Don't blame the dogs for being dogs - shoot the owners & find the dogs a RESPONSIBLE home! :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts