The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went up to work in lifting the donkeys hooves to get them ready for the farrier, and when I picked up Lilly's they were so packed full of snow that it had become ice, so now there is like a frozen ball of snow/ice in her hooves! Sorry I don't have pics.
So for now I'm just gonna bring up a rag and some warm water to hopefully melt it away.
Has this happened to anyone else? How do I prevent? I've heard Vaseline helps, is that true? What do people do when they only see their horse once a week, they can't reapply Vaseline every day!
Plus, I don't think Ruby'll let me lift her hooves long enough to 'melt' them.
Help!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've never tried it but, after you clean them have you tried to spray the hoof and frog with Pam cooking spray? I would think it would keep the ice from sticking for a while and wouldn't hurt anything. I've had it build up in our horses but, usually clean when I can and nature does it's thing too. It does bother me to see it happen.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never tried it but, after you clean them have you tried to spray the hoof and frog with Pam cooking spray? I would think it would keep the ice from sticking for a while and wouldn't hurt anything. I've had it build up in our horses but, usually clean when I can and nature does it's thing too. It does bother me to see it happen.
I'll try that! It's never happened before and I've never heard of it happening to someone else! I guess I'll try Pam spray on one hoof and not on the other just to compare, and I guess Ruby is just gonna have to let mother nature do her thing!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
It's a never ending ordeal here snow ice in feet. It comes out on it's own when there walking. Happens more when temperature is mid 20 to 30s.

I just leave it be it pops out of there feet eventually.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a never ending ordeal here snow ice in feet. It comes out on it's own when there walking. Happens more when temperature is mid 20 to 30s.

I just leave it be it pops out of there feet eventually.
Okay thank goodness! I went up and tried to put the Pam spray on them but I couldn't get all the ice out so I didn't bother with it. Plus ruby let me lift her hooves just enough to see that she had even more ice than Lilly does so yeah good to know it'll come out!
Might need to reschedule the carrier though...he was supposed to come out this week but he can't really trim the hoof walls if there's ice covering them lol!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Keeping them trimmed so toes don't get to long helps. Mine are due for a trim hopefully farrier can come Thursday or tomorrow.

Big drop in temps starting Friday. High of 6 degrees. Coldest temps of the winter so far. Yeah a 40 degree drop in temps starting this weekend.

Highs by weekend will be below zero starting Saturday. So ice snow buildup in hooves will be history,to darn cold.

·
Banned
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
243 Posts
So I went up to work in lifting the donkeys hooves to get them ready for the farrier, and when I picked up Lilly's they were so packed full of snow that it had become ice, so now there is like a frozen ball of snow/ice in her hooves! Sorry I don't have pics.
So for now I'm just gonna bring up a rag and some warm water to hopefully melt it away.
Has this happened to anyone else? How do I prevent? I've heard Vaseline helps, is that true? What do people do when they only see their horse once a week, they can't reapply Vaseline every day!
Plus, I don't think Ruby'll let me lift her hooves long enough to 'melt' them.
Help!
Do you have a horse hoof pick? You could try that.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keeping them trimmed so toes don't get to long helps. Mine are due for a trim hopefully farrier can come Thursday or tomorrow.

Big drop in temps starting Friday. High of 6 degrees. Coldest temps of the winter so far. Yeah a 40 degree drop in temps starting this weekend.

Highs by weekend will be below zero starting Saturday. So ice snow buildup in hooves will be history,to darn cold.
I know! I was trying to get them trimmed before they grew over too long but then my farrier got busy so I had to reschedule, and now it'll probably have to be even longer! Ugh!

Do you have a horse hoof pick? You could try that.
I do have a hoof pick. Two actually. I did try picking it out but it's literally a hunk of ice and it's not coming out!

·
Banned
228 Posts
My horse gets horrible ice balls in his feet. I pick them out at least twice a day to keep him comfortable.

Perhaps you could soak it’s foot in a small container of warm water? That should be a quick fix.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My horse gets horrible ice balls in his feet. I pick them out at least twice a day to keep him comfortable.

Perhaps you could soak it’s foot in a small container of warm water? That should be a quick fix.
That's actually a really good idea! Maybe I'll bring them into the barn early before the farrier gets here and soak them before he comes.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
You just need to chop that ice out of there so you can pick the hooves, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine just spend more time standing in the barn if it's icy or if the snow balls up under their hooves. It eventually falls out.

For hoof picking, as much of a hassle as it is, you need to get in there with a hoof pick and pick at them until you get it out. It takes some strength and persistence, but you can eventually get them out. Hot water can be used if you want to accelerate the process (just make sure you're pouring it on the hooves in an area where it won't freeze in a solid puddle). I know people who board and don't have access to hot water in the barn, so they bring a thermos of hot water with them in case they need it.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the new date?
Still don't know. He said he'd check his schedule this week and let me know. I'm gonna text a reminder today. I'll let you know when I get a date.

You just need to chop that ice out of there so you can pick the hooves, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine just spend more time standing in the barn if it's icy or if the snow balls up under their hooves. It eventually falls out.

For hoof picking, as much of a hassle as it is, you need to get in there with a hoof pick and pick at them until you get it out. It takes some strength and persistence, but you can eventually get them out. Hot water can be used if you want to accelerate the process (just make sure you're pouring it on the hooves in an area where it won't freeze in a solid puddle). I know people who board and don't have access to hot water in the barn, so they bring a thermos of hot water with them in case they need it.
Well, I will try picking it out. Their still just learning to lift their hooves is the problem. They need to be tied, and it needs to be done in very small short periods of time otherwise they start to fight me. The one barely lets me lift her front hooves, so I have no idea how I'm gonna pick it all out, but I'm gonna try.
I think I'm gonna bring the girls into the barn a little before the farrier shows up, and soak their hooves in warm water as @Nubs suggested, and try picking it out then...I'll keep you guys updated.

Reactions: Nubs

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
The ice will pop out if you place a hoof pick against it and turn it a bit against the sole of the hoof, pop it goes...
Yes, it will come back.......
Farrier appointments for me are standing at 5 weeks at most and mine are just trims.
Anything longer and it becomes a potential issue for damage to tendons, ligaments and muscle along with splitting hooves now opening cahnce for foot bacteria of white line disease...
Yes, donks can get WLD so making sure to reduce incidence by having farrier care a bit more often with shorter times between to me is the better way to go.
🐴...

·
Banned
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
243 Posts
I know! I was trying to get them trimmed before they grew over too long but then my farrier got busy so I had to reschedule, and now it'll probably have to be even longer! Ugh!

I do have a hoof pick. Two actually. I did try picking it out but it's literally a hunk of ice and it's not coming out!
Good luck!

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The ice will pop out if you place a hoof pick against it and turn it a bit against the sole of the hoof, pop it goes...
It wasn't coming out when I tried. Maybe it's just me though...I'll try again when I get home tonight.

Farrier appointments for me are standing at 5 weeks at most and mine are just trims.
Anything longer and it becomes a potential issue for damage to tendons, ligaments and muscle along with splitting hooves now opening cahnce for foot bacteria of white line disease...
Yes, donks can get WLD so making sure to reduce incidence by having farrier care a bit more often with shorter times between to me is the better way to go.
I know. I want to get them on a more regular schedule and get Ruby seen more often, so I'm gonna talk to my farrier whenever he comes, and if he can't come more often, I have another farrier in mind that I may end up switching to...we'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
768 Posts
At the end of every visit my farrier and I set the next date so there is no misunderstanding on when he will be coming. This has always been this way he has be here when he says and texts the day before confirming everything is on go and texts again when he is 15-20 minutes out so the horses and I are ready when he arrives. The only time he has canceled on me was when his father died which is very understandable. Our December appoint ( just before Christmas) he came out looked at their feet and said that hoof growth had been minimal since the last trimming and said he would come back in 3 weeks and there was no charge for that visit. I tried to pay at least his gas for coming out and he refused any money. I gave him a Christmas gift anyway.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I would like to get into something like that, and I was going to talk to him about that this time around. He isn't doing farrier as much as he used to anymore, so he doesn't have as much time to come out and their hooves. He has only rescheduled once on me. We had one date set, and then he had to move it cause he runs his own farm, and the weather was finally nice for once so he wanted to spend the day haying, and I totally get that, so we rescheduled for two days later. No big deal.
I'm gonna talk to him, maybe we can do like the same date every month. You know? Like the first friday of every month kinda thing. I'll talk to him and figure it out. If he doesn't want to come out and do them that often, I'll speak with a different farrier.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Not sure where you live but in cold months hoof growth slows way down. Mine can go 3 months without being trimmed. They need trimmed but not a big deal if they don't get done. If my farrier can't come by tomorrow feet aren't getting done. Can wait till weather warms up

Honestly don't worry about the ice/snow build up. When farrier comes he'll get it out. My farrier takes care of the snow balled feet.

I've long quit worrying about ice/snow build up in feet it always pops out with no help from me.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure where you live but in cold months hoof growth slows way down. Mine can go 3 months without being trimmed. They need trimmed but not a big deal if they don't get done. If my farrier can't come by tomorrow feet aren't getting done. Can wait till weather warms up
Last time they were done was end of Dec.ish. and the one, Ruby, has an overgrown hoof that gets pretty bad if it's not regularly trimmed, and her hooves grow super fast! Like insanely fast. All her hooves are long right now and it's been just barely 8 weeks since the last trim. I haven't really even notices a slower growing rate over the winter. IMO, they were trimmed less over the summer cause some of the excess hoof just snapped off and they didn't grow as long IMO.
I've long quit worrying about ice/snow build up in feet it always pops out with no help from me.
That make me feel waaay better. I was afraid it was yet another thing wrong with their hooves. Overall they're pretty easy keepers, but when it comes to their feet...not so easy....

Reactions: rambo99
1 - 20 of 27 Posts