The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
It's old, I can see that. it's also a well made working saddle. I think it has some real value. Yeah, I think the sheepskin is new, and the rear latigo, and maybe other parts.

That's a real nice saddle.

but this is a different saddle? mix up oh photos?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
The saddle with the high cantle with the rawhide trim on it........that's the style from the late 1800's- early 1900's. That's nice! It's in really nice shape for a saddle from that era. Man, I really like it! It looks like it could still be ride-able. But I think collector's would be interested in it more than riders.

The one with the shallower seat with the initials on the horn looks a bit newer, but is still a nice older saddle. I'm totally guessing it's from about the 1940's, give or take about 10 years. But that's just my guess based on the style. I'm not a saddle expert, but I do love vintage tack!

Hopefully some more experienced folks will chime in. :cool:

I wouldn't worry too much about the sheepskin on either saddle......because with saddles that old it's sort of a given that the original sheepskin will be falling apart. Hey, at least they HAVE real sheepskin. Most saddles don't nowadays.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts