The Horse Forum banner

HELP! Lunging youngster.

1776 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  SeWHC
Hey, i have a 3 year old New Forest X Fell, when i first started lunging about 6 months ago he was really good and got the hang of it. VERY recently he has started facing inwards and will trot towards me, if i flick the lunge whip at his shoulders/ girth or anything, it doesnt bother him at all! This problem has got worse as if i try push him back out now, he jumps towards me on his back legs and stands as close to me as possible.
Any advise ? :?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, i will try it with him, No he has not been broken in yet, only lunged in a bridle.
Most of the time when he does it, he can be in canter and just turn in comepletly randomly and trot in to me.
Thankyou for your advise, will let you know how we get on.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i would say... for one he isnt respecting your space. make sure you make it clear to him where you want him to go staying behind his shoulders and hand pointed in the direction you want him to go. if you have to up the flick to a pop! it would be the same in a herd if he didnt move fast enough or get out of the way in time he would be bit from the dominant horse. make sure you are his leader. only inviting him in when you say. or he gets bit. i hope this makes a little sense to you.
yeahh that makes complete sense ! Will let you know how i get on :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a hunch this person is not ready for an advanced technique such as this.
Im aware that this is long riening which i have done before, just not with him as im still trying to get him used to lunging, he is a completly different to anything ive had before, which is why i didnt understand why he was rearing up, and running in to be with me.

Lunging him today went really really well, soon as i upped the anti he went straight out and behaved himself.
Anyone know where i can get a cheap pessoa for a pony ?? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.