The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

I rescued a mare from an auction house here in Texas almost a year ago now.

I believe she came from up north as her winter coat is EXTREMELY thick, long, and shaggy! But the problem is she's not shedding it off fast enough as it's still really thick and were having high 70s and 80s already. I brought her up to feed her yesterday and she was soaked in sweat and smelled awful! And it was only 67 degrees.. I had to go out during the heat of the day 84 degrees and hose her as she was cooking in her coat.

What can I do to help her shed quicker? I'm already brushing her twice a day to try and help her loose that hair. But it getting too hot for her. She's and old mare 22-23 years old. [

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Hey All!

I rescued a mare from an auction house here in Texas almost a year ago now.

I believe she came from up north as her winter coat is EXTREMELY thick, long, and shaggy! But the problem is she's not shedding it off fast enough as it's still really thick and were having high 70s and 80s already. I brought her up to feed her yesterday and she was soaked in sweat and smelled awful! And it was only 67 degrees.. I had to go out during the heat of the day 84 degrees and hose her as she was cooking in her coat.

What can I do to help her shed quicker? I'm already brushing her twice a day to try and help her loose that hair. But it getting too hot for her. She's and old mare 22-23 years old. [

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Sounds like she may have cushings. Will want to get her tested and will need to get the vet out.

Meanwhile, give her a full body clip

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
You may need to have her clipped if the delayed shedding is affecting her health/comfort right now.

Longer term, sounds like it would be prudent to get the vet out to test for Cushings/PPID if you haven't already. Long, curly coat and difficult shedding out can be classic symptoms. Here are some more details on testing through Cornell, which many vets will utilize: https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-health-diagnostic-center/testing/protocols/equine-ppid

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!! I'll definitely have her tested.. We got her last year in April and she was completely slicked out. He coat is slightly curly so I will call the vet.

I've never clipped any of my horses before (western rider and I usually don't ride much during the winter for them to need a clip) Is it expensive to hire someone? Or easy to learn to do it yourself?

Thank you @egrogan and @AnitaAnne

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Thank you!! I'll definitely have her tested.. We got her last year in April and she was completely slicked out. He coat is slightly curly so I will call the vet.

I've never clipped any of my horses before (western rider and I usually don't ride much during the winter for them to need a clip) Is it expensive to hire someone? Or easy to learn to do it yourself?

Thank you @egrogan and @AnitaAnne
It might be better to hire it out the first time. Important to have sharp, clean blades and a strong clipper. Also vital to moisturize the skin and hair afterwards, bath and conditioner is the best method.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
Just wanted to add another vote for “it sounds like cushings” and get her tested:)

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
294 Posts
. . .Longer term, sounds like it would be prudent to get the vet out to test for Cushings/PPID if you haven't already. Long, curly coat and difficult shedding out can be classic symptoms. . .
Excessive sweating can also be due to Cushings, though of course the warm weather for the amount of hair could explain that also!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also agree that there's a good chance it's cushings, and to consult a vet and clip. If it gets cold again, you can always toss a blanket on her. :) Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,646 Posts
Clipping would help. Even a partial clip. And as others have said test her.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also believe it is Cushings. I have a pony with it. The vet will test, mine has been on Prascend for a few years. Having him retested this year.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another vote for "Cushing testing". I do recommend getting her clipped and like someone else said, it's better off to hire someone else if it's your first time. The long, curly hair/coat does concern me...do you know what breed she is?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts