The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm writing to see if anyone can offer me some training advice for my mare who seems to have separation anxiety. She's generally a well behaved horse, but she goes wild when her neighbors leave her or if I walk away from her while she's in the cross ties. When her neighbors leave, she screams and paces in her stall. If I leave her alone in the cross ties, she starts freaking out, to the point of rearing. It can be somewhat embarrassing and annoying but I'm not sure how to help her or how to stop it. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
161 Posts
When she is in the cross ties does she start to act out when her other friends leave and you are still there with her? Does she have separation anxiety when riding? With just her and you, I would try retreat and approach. What I mean by that is walk away just a little, if she is calm go back and praise her. Keep doing that until she is comfortable with you far away but still within sight.
For in the stall I would get a toy for her, like a jolly stall snack or a boredom breaker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When she is in the cross ties does she start to act out when her other friends leave and you are still there with her? Does she have separation anxiety when riding? With just her and you, I would try retreat and approach. What I mean by that is walk away just a little, if she is calm go back and praise her. Keep doing that until she is comfortable with you far away but still within sight.
For in the stall I would get a toy for her, like a jolly stall snack or a boredom breaker.
Hi! Thanks for replying. If her friends leave while she’s in the cross ties she’s fine, it’s only if I leave her. She does not have separation anxiety when I’m riding her, she’s always well behaved when I take her away from her friends. I’ll definitely try the retreat and approach method that you mentioned! As for the toy, I did get her a jolly stall snack. I have caught her playing with it before but when her friends leave it’s like it doesn’t exist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts