The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y’all, help me out on this one!
How do I get my training business up and running?

I’ve been around horses pretty much my whole life, I’ve helped my aunt rehabilitate ottbs and auction rescues. I have bought a few project horses and jazz. So I have the experience! And I’ve even got the lovely opportunity to work with my neighbors three horses! I’ve set up accounts on Instagram and Facebook for myself.
HERES THE THING. Before you write in the comments.
“Work under a trainer.”
1. I’m in a very “tight” house right now that I’m not aloud to work outside the home.
2. I’m in a small town where there aren’t any barns or trainers unless I drive an hour.
“Keep doing projects!”
1. I’m currently on a budget due to my own current horses so i can’t afford to buy anymore horses.
“Just get the word spreading.”
Well, how do I go about doing that?

Anything else is warmly welcomed!! Pls help me out. This is what I’m so passionate about!

·
Registered
49,418 Posts
Word of mouth. Ask the neighbor to post on your FB page, with a testimonial. Put up a card at the feed store, grocery store. Put in an ad in Craig'slist.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Training for the public is HARD.
People often look for trainers with an extensive list of accomplishments and great references in a single discipline (jumpers, or barrel horses or colt starting, lots of folks are specialized in their business even if they have experience in varying things) or even spread across a few disciplines.

Based off of your description of your experience, I'm not sold that you are someone with extensive enough experience for me to send horses to for training.

A good place for you to start would be maybe trying to find someone who needs horses exercised or legged up if you have experience there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Training for the public is HARD.
People often look for trainers with an extensive list of accomplishments and great references in a single discipline (jumpers, or barrel horses or colt starting, lots of folks are specialized in their business even if they have experience in varying things) or even spread across a few disciplines.

Based off of your description of your experience, I'm not sold that you are someone with extensive enough experience for me to send horses to for training.

A good place for you to start would be maybe trying to find someone who needs horses exercised or legged up if you have experience there.
Thank you! I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

·
Registered
49,418 Posts
perhaps you could word it more like 'I will EXERSIZE your horse', rather than 'train' it. Just so your lack of experience is not called to the forefront.
I think you could say something like "I will ride your hrose regularly and help improve manners , if needed, keep him or her sharp for you and help you keep him happy and healthy"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perhaps you could word it more like 'I will EXERSIZE your horse', rather than 'train' it. Just so your lack of experience is not called to the forefront.
I think you could say something like "I will ride your hrose regularly and help improve manners , if needed, keep him or her sharp for you and help you keep him happy and healthy"
Ah, thank you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts