The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 7 year old TB gelding. I have been jumping him but when I first started, he refused, catjumped, and ran out. Now, he doesnt. My Dad says jumping will beake his legs. I argue that it is not true. Who is right? Will polo wraps and bel boots help us?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
splint boots are essential for jumping. I literally never jump without them.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
both. I recommend Woof boots.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Front and back for sure!

Wish there was a "thanks" feature on here. But thanks eventerdrew I need some new ones, I am gonna check those out.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Anything lined with neoprene will help - studdies show that neoprene helps in absorbing shock - but it is not the 100% way to preserve our horses legs.

But your dad is right in a way. A horse has only so much jump in them, and their legs take ALOT of shock and trauma when they jump. Take a 1200lb horses body weight all compressed on their shouldres, knees, cannon bone, ankles, hooves.

Studdies have shown that our horses legs take alot. Many Top Level Jumpers know this, so they focus alot of proper conditioning and Dressage training, so that their horses are stronger and conditioned to do the sport they are being asked to do.

They spend 5 - 6 days a week doing Dressage and preserve their horses legs by jumping once to twice a week - if not only at the comp in the warmup ring.

Prevent
Protect
Preserve

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Splint boots are great but really they only protect your horse from hitting himself. They do not offer support in any way and it sounds like that is what you are looking for. There is nothing wrong with using boots.

And lots of horses jump and do not break their legs. Has your father never watched the olympics?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i would say use splints or polo wraps. sometimes depends on the horse on which to use. my 4yr hates splints but it fine with wraps. But i suggest you use them all the time when you jump him unless your jumping xrails...
also he may have used to refuse jumps because since you were new, maybe you were reluctant and he could feel it. it may have also been cuz he was new or maybe young? im not sure about your situation :)

again, my 4yr does that sometimes, he just needs his self esteem built up. make sure when you do jump not to pull on his face over the jumps... and just keep at it and dont jump him every time you ride :D

ok...im done talking now :p

22 Posts
i would say you try some boots straight away try reading some books i would recommend reading complete horse says everything about horses from getting one to going to shows and looking after them plus how to clean tack.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with the splint boots. They help a lot. Also after a long hard jumping workout if it's not to cold put some ice boots on his legs. Those will help to keep the tendons and muscles cool so that he doesn't get to sore on them.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I mostly just use neoprene boots to soften the impact if the horse hits a pole. As said above, they really don't offer support.

Some horses don't need or like any boots. I trained a stallion that hated any boots and would rip them off if given a chance. He evented through training before he wore them on XC. On my avatar, he is jumping a pretty big jump without boots.

He had legs of iron and rarely hit any poles. he never suffered from lack of wearing boots.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread but, is it a good idea to get minis boots too? Mine knocks off verticles :/

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
trIplEcrOwngIrl, I guess boots are just a choice people make. Personally I think all horses when jumping should wear boots, I acutally have boots on my horse whenever riding, luckily I put them on today because we had a very bad slip/fall and our boots helps protect his legs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.