The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I’ve dug myself into a hole.
About 4 months ago, it was announced to me that my barn (which I had been at for only 5-6 months) was being sold, and it was likely we’d have to find somewhere to go. The jump trainer I was working with was not very regular and rigorous, I had 2-4 lessons a month tops. Before this, I had been at a dressage barn for only 3 months, but my horse is very sensitive and had a bad experience with the trainer there, and became dangerous when around her or the arena. Before that, I was at a self-care barn for 4 months, those were the first four months I had owned my horse.
Now, it is 2 1/2 months until my current barn is to be sold, and I made plans to move to a hunter/equitation barn. I am worried about this move for a few reasons.
1. My horse recently developed on-off lameness, which I believe is related to jumping, so I do not want to jump him and want to go into dressage. There are no open dressage barns near me except for the one we were previously at, which isn’t an option. So my plan was to go to this barn, do my own thing with my horse and train regularly on the trainers lesson horses. Is this worth it?
2. My horse is so happy at the current barn. He has daily turnout in a large pasture, which he needs to keep him sane. At the new barn, the turnout is much smaller. The barn owner says they’re opening up larger pastures, but I don’t know when that will be. He will also be hauling there alone (20 minutes tops), which can be really stressful for him especially if he’s leaving his friend (a mare he’s herd bound to) behind.
3. I have a friend at my current barn, and feel bad leaving her behind.
4. I feel like I’m barn hopping, and I’m worried I’m going to get bored with the new barn and have no place to go. I really want to settle there, and thought that I would be at my current barn for years because of how beautiful and perfect it is. I don’t like constantly switching barns and feel like I’m being unfair to the owners/trainers.

I want to go to this barn because of the training program, and I have a lot more friends my age there. But I’m feeling really hesitant because it is possible that everyone at my current barn won’t have to leave, as the new owners only have 1 horse. They will, however, be bringing a new trainer, so my current trainer and my friend (her daughter) may have to leave anyway. If they ended up leaving, I would probably leave too regardless.
I have already told the owner of the new barn that we’re moving in 10 days, she’s hauling us because I don’t have a trailer, and she’s been really nice and helpful. We already pushed the move date back 15 days, since I was supposed to move 5 days ago. So I would feel really bad changing my mind again and potentially brining that bridge.
Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
26,875 Posts
I would be a little concerned with the barn hopping because at some point - you are going to run out of barns. Also even though a barn might be a barn that specializes in a specific discipline - many times there are trainers that can do more than just that discipline.

14 Posts
I'm your age, with non horsey parents, and do all the horse stuff too! we are so young, but are pusuing our dreams and being awesome and independent. Don't feel like youre being unfair. Do what works for you and and your horse.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Is the barn you are at remaining as a boarding facility after the change in ownership or going to be privately owned? If the latter, then you'll definitely need somewhere to go, even if it isn't the perfect fit (which most barns rarely are). You do not have to jump at this new barn and can explain to them that your horse has an ongoing issue that needs to be dealt with first.

Is there any other boarding barns around you that aren't discipline specific? I have to say that in my experience, the best barns dealt with only boarding and/or were privately owned (not a business). With these barns, you are not limited to any one trainer, which I prefer because some of the best trainers travel in. And with privately owned barns, you typically need to know the barn owner or have some kind of in through a friend, but they can be an option too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts