Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I just bought a filly the other day, her registered name is "Cool Dusty Maloney." When I bought her, her previous owners called her Dusty as a barn name. I was wanting something a little more different and unique so I was thinking about changing it to Malone. I know it's "bad luck" or whatever to change the name but she has no attachment to it and doesn't know her name at all!

Soo... Should I go with Malone or leave it at Dusty? :cowboy:

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Personally, I think some pictures would help people make a more informed decision....
:smile:

Reactions: rmissildine

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Leave it. Any horse I've changed the name on hasn't worked out. Usually I end up calling them something completely different working around them anyway. For instance, my Paso's name is Duncan, but I call him Black Horse most of the time. My paint is rarely ever called her real name, because when I look at her, she looks like a Miss Kitty. So, yeah. There's the registered name, the barn name, and the nickname. They're usually all different...

Add in the 'mad at the horse' name, and you have another few to choose from! :-D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Our TWH's aren't registered but we stuck with the names the p.o.'s had given them, for the most part anyway.
Allie, our 11 yo mare is "Allie girl", "Beautiful", "Pretty Girl" and some times "fat girl", she is a bit over weight, so she is on our vet's recommended diet, and has lost some weight. She is a super easy keeper...
John, our 9 yo gelding is "John-o", John Boy", and when he is super nice" Pretty Boy"...
I didn't vote either, but your bond with your horse and what you call them at any one time is your business. So, call her what you want as long as she responds to you...

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Hey guys!

I just bought a filly the other day, her registered name is "Cool Dusty Maloney." When I bought her, her previous owners called her Dusty as a barn name. I was wanting something a little more different and unique so I was thinking about changing it to Malone. I know it's "bad luck" or whatever to change the name but she has no attachment to it and doesn't know her name at all!

Soo... Should I go with Malone or leave it at Dusty? :cowboy:
Every horse I've ever known has had pet and/or barn names that were given to them by the folks they know. My mare L.A. Peppermint Patti is called Patti Waxit, Knick Knack Patti Wack, Patricia Delicia, Opinion (for Opinionated Mare). It's only "bad luck" if you change the registered name, which I don't believe because I've done it and the horse is fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not ****ed off at all!! What would you recommend? I'm terrible at picking names and normally just do something from the registered name! I'll try to attach some pictures!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You asked my opinion, so here goes . . . . neither.

Dusty is boring as all get out. And, 'Malone' is contrived, and not feminine at all. Now I'm sure I've ****ed you off.
I'm not ****ed off at all!! I've had her for a few days now and I thought I liked Malone but it doesn't fit her at all, she has too cute of a face for a name like that. I also don't like Dusty just because it's SOO common. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Malone isnt that fun but I did like the Maloney Bologna (pronouncing it baloney). LOL!
If you did name her Malone, when you tied her off you could always be corny and call her Post Malone.
I know... I'm terrible. =)

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'd go with Maloney Baloney... but I've also found that be it a cat, a dog, a cow, a horse... a duck... that no matter what you intend to name them - if it doesn't fit, you'll be calling them something else anyway.

Better to get to know her, see what sticks, IMO. That's how every one of ours got named except for Supes - he already had his name and well. I guess AJ. Here's is the short version of her registered name.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
She's a beauty. I'm partial to her coloring.

I would call her a "golden" name like Ora, Auria, Aumia, Khrysta, or Golda, all of which mean gold in different languages.

I'm one who doesn't like giving goofy names to horses (or any animal), that's just me.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Malone isnt that fun but I did like the Maloney Bologna (pronouncing it baloney). LOL!
If you did name her Malone, when you tied her off you could always be corny and call her Post Malone.
I WAS GONNA SAY THAT. If I ever got a horse who's name had "Malone" in it anyway, no doubt I'd change it to Post Malone. Or idk Pre Malone, or something that pays tribute to Post Malone XD. I mean, Wow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I WAS GONNA SAY THAT. If I ever got a horse who's name had "Malone" in it anyway, no doubt I'd change it to Post Malone. Or idk Pre Malone, or something that pays tribute to Post Malone XD. I mean, Wow.

Okay I LOVE the Post Malone idea lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.