Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new here!
i am currently training a 21month old colt he stands at around 13hh and both his perents are practically wild. he was fine up until he had to be castrated. it was a big op as both testicles were retained and the vet had to go into the abdomen. Unfortunatly they only found one testicle! he had 8 weeks box rest which by the end of it he was climbing up the walls. We started to turn him out gradually. he is currently going out for around 5-6 hours a day which is fine and he doesnt seem so frustrated. so heres the problem, firstly he is very impatient but i can kind of control that. I lead him from one field to the other he just runs around you or rears and if you stamp your feet or tell him off he bites you! he is also starting to strike out whilst being lead. he is currently on his own. would it help turning him out with my 4 year old welshy again? he was with him before boxrest. he really gave him what for and also played with him. Would this help maybe bordem?? is there any method that i could use to teach him that i am not the vet and i wont hurt him as he can be very werey and difficult to catch??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Okay thankfully everything is okay with him now after the aperation. But he is starting to use his control, he wants to see if you are going to stop him or let him do what he wants to do. You really need to get him under control when you are walking him around. My best suggestion for that would be get a lead rope with a chain on it that goes from one side of the halter over his nose to the other side of the halter. Everytime he is not where you want him or tries to bite pull on the lead rope. Make him understand that what he is doind is not correct. Usually you don't need to pull hard because the colts seem to take to is faster if a nice easy pull doesn't work don't be afraid to pop him once with that chain and make it mean something. If he gets bad habits now it will be harder to fix later. It also does sound like he may be bored by himself and if the vet says he can go back to playing I would for surely kick him back out with your other horse. It can't hurt. Good job having him castarated! GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If he still has one testical then he is NOT castrated!! He will have to go back eventually to get it removed. You need to find someone to help you that knows about horses. Don't use a chain over his nose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i may not use the chain but i can put the rope over his nose? no i no he isnt TECHINCALLY castrated and yes the vet is coming back in the spring to do the other! what about using a can with stones he is quite noise sensitive in that way

·
Registered
790 Posts
Seriously, you don't need a chain...you need a round pen and for the vet to come back! An experience horse person is a must and I'd hold off on turnout with your Welshy unless you want it bred or beaten. If he's still intact, he'll just be learning about his testosterone levels and wanting to practise them...sounds like you need to establish your relationship with your stud colt and stop accepting whatever he throws at you.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Seek professional help before you get hurt and he goes nutty.

With such a high strung colt, I recommend nothing but professional help, you could cause severe mental harm(unintentionally of course) with your experimenting with different "techniques" of handling him and could end up with a crazier horse than you started with. Since he is still intact you are not only dealing with behavioral issues but hormonal ones too, and hormones are more volatile and dangerous than any behavioral issues.

At the very least call a professional trainer for advice, at the very very least.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Remember that what and how he learns now will begin the pattern of how he learns from now on.

What he has learned up to now is that if he elevates his aggression he wins. Thats the natural way in the horse society for a stud so he is only doing what his instincts tell him to do.

He has to learn that this type of pattern is not acceptable and to do that he needs to understand that there is a different standard that he will have to accept for the rest of his life.

No one can teach him that standard by trying to out muscle him--its simply physically impossible--so the only way to achieve it is to out think him.

Thats what most trainers do--they out think him and teach him the new standard using techniques and training methods. But the first step is always to out think him.

Ifr you want him to learn that new standard and become a safe emotionally stable horse that can move forward then the only real option is to hire someone who can set the standard for you.

It will cost you some money now but for sure it will pay off in spades in the long run.

In the meantime be careful and safe--think everything thru and always provide him--and you-- an out. He is much quicker than you and if you don't think things thru you will find yourself in a real dangerous situation in a heartbeat.

Be safe.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Hey folks - first the OP needs to talk to the surgeon to see if there was only one testical. IT IS POSSIBLE.

A chain correctly attached to the halter (down the far side and over the nose) is a perfectly acceptable, safe and humane way to control a headstrong horse. A round pen session will not necessarily correct manners in hand.

·
Registered
790 Posts
No, a round pen session will not always correct in hand behavior, but it's a good start. By the sounds of it, this little colt is running all over her though and I personally don't think a chain is the best first step to gaining his trust and respect. Might make him behave better, but only because he HAS to, not because he understands it and WANTS to.

And with the vet thing, the OP said the vet would be back in spring to fish out the other testical, implying that it IS there. The lack of change in his personality would back that up, since it sounds like he's still acting studdy. I waited til my Welsh Pony stallion was 3 years old to geld him and 2 weeks later he was a darn near different horse. Not saying this happens to ALL geldings once the deed's done, but the OP's colt's aggression would make me think he's still intact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the suggestions guys, yes the vet wants to wait to the spring to let him mature and regain his trust because i really dont think it would be good to do it now. i probally wont use the chain coz i dont particulary like that type of method and i have a large school but not a round pen. Now do you think it is ok to put hi with the welshy (he is a gelding) because before his castration he was with him and jules (the welshy) was ALWAYS in charge, he is a very strong character and with other horses, jerry (the colt) is achually a complete wuss! and also do you think rattling the can when he bite is a good idea?

·
Registered
634 Posts
what he is at the moment is, whats called a rig, and that is more dangerous then a stallion, for obvious reasons he is still a colt with all the feelings and frustrations he will alter when the other ball is took out

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
*nods* I agree with Jimmy. They're called "ridgelings" when only one testicle is removed and the other one is left. I've heard horror stories from numerous people and books about what lunatics this turns them into for some reason. I'm not quite sure why, but best to be on your toes and realize that his bad behavior could be him going a little mental from the confusion of only having one testicle. Ridgelings are considered to be twice as unpredictable and dangerous as stallions, so please be careful! It may very well be the case that this colt isn't going to learn a darn thing until the source of his crazy is removed as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you are having trouble controlling him in a halter it may be an idea to invest in a dually. these work on pressure release system. i have a livery at my yard who was part of monty roberts tour team and she showed me how to use them and its a god send!! i also have a 6 month old colt who is 12.3hh already and he is like a coiled spring constantly. they need other horses to play with at that age so putting him with another horse may help. if he is stabled does he have plenty of toys in his stable? mine has a treatball and he also has a big gym ball wchiich he absolutley tries to kill but it means he is not so playful with people. also make sure he isnt getting too much feed alot of youngstock feeds have oats in and this can make them naughty.
i also would not use a chain on a young horse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i know he is a rig and we have duallys but for one hes quite headshy and is difficult to put a headcollar on so i leave a leather one on him and also not even the red dually will fit him his head is tiny and quite slenda. thank you for suggestions but what i want to know is-
Is it ok to put him with a bossy gelding?
Do you think using stones in a can and shaking it when he bites is a good idea to discourage him from doing this as he is quite noise sensitive?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put ANY stallion with a gelding. Even a "half" stallion...or a bossy gelding. If there are mares on the property or nearby...keep them seperate.

If your colt were mine, I'd almost postpone further training til he were fully gelded and knew where his brain went. I'd call your vet and see if he couldn't make an exception and finish the gelding now instead of waiting til spring. If they were both stuck up there, I highly doubt another couple months will make the other drop. He'll be fishing for it regardless. Let him know the huge behavioural problems you're having and tell him you want him done now.

That's just what I would do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah easier said than done im afraid. i think hes bored personally
but ANY GOING TO ANSWER ABOUT SHAKING A CAN !!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Shaking a can? Either A) he will become desensitized to it and simply ignore it B) it will make him feel threatened and he could lash out, after all he is hormonally nutty right now C) He will become a big frightened mess... Those are the outcomes I see here.

You are dealing with a hormonally unsound animal, I think you need to get help with him before you get hurt. And I think it is irresponsible for anyone to advise you to do anything with him(other than to wait till he is gelded or get help), since he is so dangerous, no one really knows how he will react and the wrong advice could get you seriously hurt....

·
Registered
886 Posts
ugh, we have a ridgling... he is one nasty SOB. especially since he was on stall rest from a boken coffin bone, thats healed now though.

anyway, about the can. i wouldnt. same reason i tell people not to do that with their dogs. youre either going to desensitize them to it and it wont work, or youre going to scare the crap out of them and have a whole slue of other problems on your hands there.

get a professional to help you out. youre really not in any kind of position (from what i can tell from the posts) to be "training" a horse like this...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Shaking a can? Either A) he will become desensitized to it and simply ignore it B) it will make him feel threatened and he could lash out, after all he is hormonally nutty right now C) He will become a big frightened mess... Those are the outcomes I see here.

You are dealing with a hormonally unsound animal, I think you need to get help with him before you get hurt. And I think it is irresponsible for anyone to advise you to do anything with him(other than to wait till he is gelded or get help), since he is so dangerous, no one really knows how he will react and the wrong advice could get you seriously hurt....
he,s a young animal who still thinks he,s a colt ,alot of colts work themselves dos,ent mean you leave them to it and we don,t know how experienced the op is ,just because they are asking for advice dos,ent make them novice if it was me i would mouth him and then when leading him i would have him with a bit in his mouth so i had some control over him

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.