The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a M. Toulouse saddle for about a year now, and i love it, but unfortunately its screwing up my position. It pushes me forward and pushes my leg back. Ive tried other saddles, and I don't have this issue. I have long legs, and my trainer thinks i need a saddle with a forward flap also. Im trying to look for a size 18" with a forward flap, for at most, $1,300. Are there any suggestions in which saddle I should look at?

Also if your looking for a nice saddle M Toulouse Premia Saddle 18" Medium Tree Excellent Condition | eBay :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same problem! I can't offer any help since I switched to Western for the winter, but take a bump because I'd like to know too. :)
I'm 5'10" and all leg so NOTHING fits right! Ever! Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What's your budget? A lot of the lower end saddles (HDR, M Toulouse and similar) put you in a really bad position and you will always be fighting the saddle. Buy a higher end saddle used, better quality and you won't be fighting your own saddle to be in a good position. I went through the same thing you're going through and I ended up with a Frank Baines, best saddle I've ever sat in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's your budget? A lot of the lower end saddles (HDR, M Toulouse and similar) put you in a really bad position and you will always be fighting the saddle. Buy a higher end saddle used, better quality and you won't be fighting your own saddle to be in a good position. I went through the same thing you're going through and I ended up with a Frank Baines, best saddle I've ever sat in.
My budget is $1,500. Have you had any experiences with the circuit saddles that Dover saddlery sells?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My budget is $1,500. Have you had any experiences with the circuit saddles that Dover saddlery sells?
Unfortunately I can't say I do, although I know my saddle fitter doesn't think very highly of them. Says the leather is not very good. I think that budget is enough to get a used high end saddle, the same saddle I got (I bought it new) retails for over $3000 but I saw a used one that looked practically brand new for $1,700. So if you're willing to buy used you can find a nice saddle that puts you in a good position, and the high end saddles last for a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I can't say I do, although I know my saddle fitter doesn't think very highly of them. Says the leather is not very good. I think that budget is enough to get a used high end saddle, the same saddle I got (I bought it new) retails for over $3000 but I saw a used one that looked practically brand new for $1,700. So if you're willing to buy used you can find a nice saddle that puts you in a good position, and the high end saddles last for a long time.
Thanks! I'll start shopping around now for higher quality saddles now! Thank you so much for the advice!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks! I'll start shopping around now for higher quality saddles now! Thank you so much for the advice!!
No problem, I didn't think saddles made that big a deal until I sat in one that made a good position so easy lol. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
552 Posts
AP saddles definatly do not help those tall with long or lanky legs. But with ppl that are built more stout APs can be helpfull. I sat better in an AP but then again I am a Mesomorph. (an over weight one but none the less built mesomorphicly) Some ppl are Ectomorphs (tall, thin also known to be rather lanky.....and no I am not using lanky as a negative term.) Endomorph are more stout and short. Ectomorphs do not sit as well in an AP designed saddle where as many Mesomorphs can. Endomorphs do better with shorter, straighter flaps and a medium deep seat to encourage lengthening of the leg. Ectomorphs make for gracefull riders where as endomorphs can make stable riders but not nessesarily "classic" riders (center of balance is closer to the horse than a ectomorph and a mesomorph) Mesomorphs fall into a wide range, I am not a pretty rider in a classic gracefull sense but I am very effective.

I guess in all of reality I am basically mesomorphic with a little bit of endomorph because I am very short waisted. I do well in decently designed AP saddles.....in jumping saddles...not so much. BUt I now ride western and cutback "flat" saddles (aka saddleseat saddles). I do better in Equitation style saddleseat saddles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, my name is Giovanni and I write from Italy '. I have a black Lipizzaner in training and I would like to buy a saddle Portuguese, at a fair price. Can you tell me a site where they sell the saddle I'm looking for? Thank you.
Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Look into saddles best designed for your discipline and consider staying clear of all-purpose. AP are usually the saddles that cause rider difficulty.
Sorry, can't agree with this. If it's so why are the vast majority of saddles sold around the world of this type?

It's like me saying every CC saddle is a pig to fit, which a lot of them are but a lot of well made ones aren't :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry, can't agree with this. If it's so why are the vast majority of saddles sold around the world of this type?

It's like me saying every CC saddle is a pig to fit, which a lot of them are but a lot of well made ones aren't :)

I must agree with that one. There are more mesomorphic (or mesomorphic blended) designed ppl out there than not, wich makes sense with APs being one of the most commonly purchased and ridden in saddles.

Oh and I have to add....one can buy a pretty darn good and decently made saddle for 1'500 dollars. You dont have to spend 3'000 for a good saddle. Of course if your riding Grand Prix and making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year riding top notch then perhaps you do but other wise ...NO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.