The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get a horse to jump higher in a short period of time?
I need help quick! Thankies. Just about to leave to find my perfect horse.:D

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
You have to give more details....your question is overly vague and makes you look like you are trying to rush something that should not be rushed.

Also, maybe use a title that says more than 'need help now' so people have an idea what you are looking for just reading the title.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rushing the training process is never a good idea, especially when jumping.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
first off, how old is this horse your looking to have jump higher ?
what is it trained for?
Is it trained for jumpers ?
Hunters, Xcountry or SJ?
How high does it currently jump?

you need to be much more specific on what you are asking, This has very little detail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I was rushed. This post is on behalf of my friend who her boyfriend has dared her to jump an inch higher then she normally does. Her horse is a TB gelding, I think he's about 10.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
So she is doing it on a dare eh? And she is going to try to make him jump higher than he is comfortable with for just a dare? Poor horse.... all for a dare.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Why not just find a horse who jumps higher? Since its not about the horse, its about the rider.......

But dumb boyfriend in my opinion. If mine ever suggested that, I'd whack him with something.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
So she is doing it on a dare eh? And she is going to try to make him jump higher than he is comfortable with for just a dare? Poor horse.... all for a dare.
She said AN INCH not like 3 feet. Chill out guys. Hoping you dont mean a foot. Just raise the rail slowly, a little bit per ride. If the horse is only jumping a foot, a little higher is no big deal. If the horse is already jumping 3 feet or more, its a little more risky. It dosent hurt to push a horse a little bit, to get them to their full potential but if hes nocking alot of rails at the current height he might be maxed out.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
...It's an inch. The horse won't break its legs from jumping an extra inch. If anything, it'll just run out or refuse. SillyBunny has good advice.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
...It's an inch. The horse won't break its legs from jumping an extra inch. If anything, it'll just run out or refuse. SillyBunny has good advice.
You have to be VERY careful though - My pony used to jump C grade and win, never stopped or ran out - I then went up a grade, only like 3 inches difference, and he was jumping it fine at home, but at the comp it overfaced him and now you can't even get him around a D grade course (half the size) without him stopping.

Sometimes it isn't 'just' a stop or run out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.