The Horse Forum banner

Help needed to buy english saddle

1369 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Filou
About three weeks ago I bought my first horse, a 2011 BLM Mustang mare. She is my pride and joy. :gallop:

Sadly when I bought her they told me she was broke under saddle, that was not totally true. She was drugged throughout the demo ride and now has to go to the trainer for a month to start her.

My big issue is I bought a western saddle for her (15" x 8") since they told me she had been started under western. Well now that I just have to start her I'm doing so in English. I do not know what to buy, standard or wide or what. She has high withers and I was told I need an 8" gullet. I don't want to buy something that doesn't fit her because I want the experience to be as good as possible. Please please please help.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,914 Posts
Okay. Question 1: is there a saddle shop local? If so go down, ask to try a few. Usually they are good about that, and may only ask for a small collateral fee.

Question 2: have you done wither tracings of her?

The saddle tree should match the angle of the shoulder, so start with tracings and take your tracings with you to a shop.

If you cannot get any saddles local, you may have to order, and if you do, be okay with the idea of buying and selling a lot of saddles to see if they fit.
Try and get sellers to at least send channel pictures and a good straight on view from the very front so you can at least get an idea of angle.

Like this one [image] (from one of the saddles I have selling)

This helped me a lot. You will need to check fit with every saddle you try, if you're not sure if its pinching, or too narrow or wide Horseforum people are very keen to help if you take pictures.

You may also like this YouTube video to help
https://youtu.be/Ffsz53UwLF0

Attachments

· Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
Slow down....

You said she is going out for 30 days training...
Use the knowledge of that trainer to guide you in a saddle that fits.
30 days from now what you buy today is probably not going to fit her when she muscles up, gets fit and changes shape.:| ...truth!
Are you sure you want her trained English?
Are you a western rider or a English rider?
What you want to ride is what she should be trained to carry and learn those cues from....there is a difference.
Don't rush into buying...make your purchase count and matter the most for the comfort of the horse first, then for your comfort and needs as the rider.
If this horse is truly been drugged and not "broke" you probably are going to be looking at more time than 30 days...that's basics taught, far from a horse except very experienced riders can go out and ride doing much of anything.
Any barn I worked at where youngsters were being "trained" the tack used belonged to the trainer.
We never used clients saddles for breaking work as it was not a comfortable and known "fit" as the trainers own tack...
Wait, just wait till the horse has some saddle time and you see where this horses forte' is...then ask for assistance in purchasing the right saddle for the horse.

:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

· Premium Member
51,791 Posts
really, with such a green horse, the type of saddle doesn't matter, as long as it fits reasonably. let the trainer start her in a western saddle, and when she comes back, you keep riding in that for a bit. Along the way you'll run into chances to try an English saddle. Until she is a bit more solid under saddle, you may appreciate having that horn to grab onto , should you need it.

best of luck with your new horse. maybe you can post some photos of her?

· Premium Member
24,143 Posts
8" gullet's very wide... As others have said, the important part is fitting the saddle to the horse. Doesn't matter whether western or English if it fits her comfortably. Westerns are longer in the tree, for seat size, so for a 'decent' size rider, they can be too long for a short backed horse unless custom made.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do agree that I'll wait to buy. I've been training green horses in english and western for four years. I've been riding since I was 6. Mainly I'm trying to figure all this out so I can decide which saddle size and brand I enjoy so I can buy it post training. I've done ground training and she can be saddled.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I enjoyed western a quarter as much as english but sadly I'll choose english any day of the week. She's been saddled under both and has more of a "sport horse" build than a western pony honestly.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I was looking for an english saddle for my mustang who has no withers and a short back. He hated the saddles I had and threw bucking fits for each one I had lying around. A forum goer on here sent me their old wide tree english saddle and it's nothing fancy but it fits, and it gets the job done! I was finally able to ride my horse!
It's this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Draft-hors...989843&hash=item56982d659e:g:-3AAAOSwWKtUsVtS
but with an 8 in gullet instead of 10.
I originally wanted something I could jump him in, and I've been able to jump in that one even though it's a 'dressage' saddle.

The common thread I found is that all regular gullet saddles slipped side to side with ease, even if they didn't always look like they were pinching his shoulder. The one I have now doesn't slip and slide.
I have found many mustang owners mention that they need a western saddle, or a wide tree saddle for their horse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.