Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Members of the Forum...

Please help me to identify the illness and possible treatment for the following case:

(see the photo attached)

It started long back, since from at least half year as i was given to understand, from a small swelling which gradually made transition to this horror.

The horse does not have any respiratory, digestion, or any other problems. It is only this single eye that is under question.

Please advice dear Members how to treat it. All opinions are welcomed and requisite measures will be taken.

:frown_color:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,911 Posts
YOU CALL A VET.............

For something such as this....you need true medical help.
Today, not tomorrow and it should of been had months ago.
You swallow the cost and do what is right for the animal.

This is more than serious...

If you can't afford a vet or have access to one contact your local humane association.
They will offer to take the horse and get the animal treatment it needs...
They can also find a vet in your area that would help you...
To have, to keep a animal for months with a sore on an at the eye......:x

I'm hoping you just came into possession of the animal, called rescuing it, not that it has been in your ownership for all of this time....

Please, call a vet and get proper medical care....
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I sure wish I could offer some advice, but I tend to agree, you're going to need profession help with this IMO.

Google Sarcoid as it may be along those lines....

I'd put some antibiotic ointment on it as a start but I assume you've been trying the easy stuff....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the feedback. Yes, so - called "easy stuff" was tried even before i saw it (and i saw it just today, on Sep 17). So it is cancer, with all the consequenses in terms of care. That means, the only option is surgery. Else, emotions apart, the horse has to be euthanized.

PS - to horselovingguy - not everywhere on the planet of earth a normal vet, "local human association" or likewise 911 is available.

Thanks for the opinions above.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I don't have any other advice other than what has been given. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in finding the resources to help this horse. It's really a shame when this kind of stuff happens and you don't find out about it until much later. I hope that he/she can be helped. Best of luck and good wishes for you both.

Reactions: JCnGrace

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Yes, the only two courses of action are aggressive medical treatment or euthanasia.

If you can't afford treatment then put the poor animal out of its misery, because that's just going to get worse. It's also likely spread internally if it's cancer, and you're just seeing one of many tumors.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
When ever a small bump becomes a major disorganized, angry growth, suspect cancer, and it can't be disputed that cancers that could have been cured with early detection, treatment, reach the point where it is no longer treatable
You then have to do what is right for the animal.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Sarcoids often occur around the eye, and can vary greatly in their aggressiveness, acting like a malignancy, in the invasive aggressive form
A biopsy would be the starting point of a definitive diagnosis, versus, 'shot gun therapy'

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
OP, is this your horse or someone else's? You say this first started ~6 months ago, but you just saw today? Has owner called the vet, or are you both just assuming it's cancer? I'm not saying it isn't - IMHO it looks like it yes - but only way to know 100% is to have the vet out. And that is up to the owner. I really hope the owner had the vet out ~6 months ago or whenever this first appeared. I completely understand that some areas do not have great quality vet care, or an abundance of vets, but the horse still needs to be seen regardless.

·
Administrator
35,835 Posts
Here are two pictures of sarcoids by the eye similar to the one your(?) horse most likely has.
They are very 'aggressive' and tend to not respond well to treatment which can often make them worse and just cause more suffering
Your kindest option is probably to have the horse euthanized

Attachments

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I'd say absolutely Sarcoids but agree with Smile to get a biopsy done. Do not mess with it as trauma to a sarcoid can cause spreading.

Here is Hondo's sarcoid as determined by biopsy almost two years ago. It is all gone now and other areas that looked like beginning sarcoids are have mostly cleared up.

Lots of info on sarcoids on the net if you look.

IMGA0544.JPG

IMGA0546.JPG

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Definitely looks like a cancerous growth that has gotten worse- definitely weigh your options...if you cannot afford the surgery then definitely place them to rest because it isn't going to go away or get better on its own. :( That has to be so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
From what I gathered, they have no vets. Or minimal vets with skill available where ever the OP is from.

It is my opinion that this will come back. I see what appears to be possible bony changes around the eye socket also in the surgery photos. The last time I saw something like that, It was a fast growing bone cancer. Good thoughts that it will heal and I am wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.