The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this new barrel horse about two months ago. He is very relaxed in my arena at home and has never offered to buck. However, he frequently tilts his head back and forth at the lope and occasionally drops it. I had used him as a back up barrel horse a few times that my horse came up lame at races, and had never noticed this issue before. His last rider was new to barrel racing and pulled on his head a lot, where I have very soft hands. I have never experienced an issue like this, so my first reaction was to try different bits, but he continually has the same issue no matter what I put in his mouth. I thought he may be out at the poll, so my chiropractor is coming out sometime in the near future. I was wondering if anybody else had any more ideas???

·
Super Moderator
9,733 Posts
Teeth is a good place to start.

Beyond that, is he out of alignment somewhere? Easy ways to check before calling a chiro (or good pro groom) are:

Have someone hold him while he stands as square as possible. You get up behind slightly above his topline and look forward along the spine. I like to take a picture or two.

You can also stand him as square as possible on as flat a surface as possible. I usually walk a horse into the shop on ranches and farms and stand them on concrete. Take measurements at various anatomical points right versus left and compare. Point of the shoulder, hip, top and bottom of shoulder blade, stifle, etc. Slight variation can be expected, but sometimes larger ones can give hints as to the location of problems.

And if a horse cannot stand square, really off, get a couple photos of that. That, too, can indicate where a problem is.

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Middle ear infection can make a horse head-tilt as they try to compensate for a slight off-balance feeling occurring...
So can certain kinds of nerve pinches and fractures...

Time for a vet visit to rule out illness or discomfort happening...
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Besides as to what has been said, poor vision in one eye will have a horse tilt his head, to the good eye side

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His teeth were recently floated. I’ve checked to see if he’s off, and from what I can tell he is not. However, I have the chiropractor coming out today to adjust all my horses, so I’m having her check and possibly adjust him as well. I highly doubt it is poor vision as he has never had this issue before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His pelvis and withers were slightly out, nothing that she thought would cause any major discomfort, but I will have to see if it has improved at all once the ice in my arena melts.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Maybe TMJ? That doesn't necessarily "show up" in routine dental checks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.