The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,968 Posts
There would be not the slightest external sign in a mare only three weeks into a pregnancy. Her belly would not look any different, her udders would not look any different. Most mares don't show any changes in body shape until nearly seven months along or later. Your best way to tell if a mare is bred is at or after day 21 (three weeks) a vet can do a rectal palpitation - which you have had done, and the vet TOLD you there is no baby. If you are still concerned, like someone mentioned, shell out the bucks and have an ultrasound done.

· Registered
3,968 Posts
I'm sorry, I had misunderstood your original post and was under the impression your mare was only bred (possibly) three weeks ago.

But I'd still back your vet at this point. If your mare is 10 months along, as CheyAut said it would be very difficult for your vet to "miss" the baby on a palpitation. It's a good idea to be prepared in any case, of course, have the supplies you need and keep your vet on call. But I'd trust your vet's greater wisdom at this point, if he says no baby, assume there is no baby. As I mentioned in a previous post, if you are concerned he might be wrong, ask him to do an ultrasound.

· Registered
3,968 Posts
That certainly looks like foal movement to me. Since your first vet seems to have "missed" a baby with a mare this late in her pregnancy, getting another vet out with a second opinion might be a very good idea.

Good for you for sticking to your guns on this. You know your mare best!

Congrats :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.