The Horse Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Since beet pulp and the a\t hay pellets are forage, you can feed pretty much as much as you want to and that he will eat. 1 cup of each is good to start with so he gets used to the taste, but you will need to feed much more to get results so start working up quickly. I worked my fill up to 3 lbs of beet pulp and 6 lbs of alfalfa pellets daily. For comparison, that was about 5 quarts of beet pulp shreds and 6 quarts of alfalfa pellets split into 3 feedings. She also ate 30+ lbs of hay every single day.

Hay pellets are fed pound for pound. So if you want him getting about an extra flake of hay a day you would feed 4-5 lbs of pellets.

Reactions: Sharpie

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Since beet pulp and the a\t hay pellets are forage, you can feed pretty much as much as you want to and that he will eat. 1 cup of each is good to start with so he gets used to the taste, but you will need to feed much more to get results so start working up quickly. I worked my fill up to 3 lbs of beet pulp and 6 lbs of alfalfa pellets daily. For comparison, that was about 5 quarts of beet pulp shreds and 6 quarts of alfalfa pellets split into 3 feedings. She also ate 30+ lbs of hay every single day.

Hay pellets are fed pound for pound. So if you want him getting about an extra flake of hay a day you would feed 4-5 lbs of pellets.
Thank you Endiku! I guess I will hop up to 2 cups of beet pulp and 2 cups of pellets tonight. Would it be okay to go up by a 1/2 of a cup each feeding or every 2 feedings? My "cup" is a styrofoam drink cup, so it should be about the size of an actual cup.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Sounds fine to me. I introduced my filly's alfalfa and bp at a rate a bit higher than that and she never had a problem with it. I hope they help your boy!

·
Banned
795 Posts
I don't understand why you continue to argue. Why not start your own thread called "Beet Pulp vs Oats" or whatever instead of hijacking my thread. I WILL be feeding him Beet Pulp, as I've watching horses gain weight on it on here. It is within my budget, and easily digestible, plus my picky horse eats it just fine.
Not argueing my dear, just clearing up some disinformaiton.:wink:

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
BP isn't fed to be nutritional. Other feeds are for that. It is fed because of the amount of calories per pound and because it isn't a grain. It is also great for helping a dehydrated horse.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How do I check for Ulcers? Is it something the vet does? I don't have the money to get him scoped or anything right now. Is there symptoms of them? His attitude hasn't changed any, and he is moving better than ever.
(Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was at LEGOLAND)

Horses may or may not exhibit signs of ulcers, or if they do, people sometimes think it's other problems. You'd need the vet to scope the horse. I'm not sure of the cost, it varies a bit from vet to vet. If they are present then Ulcergard or Gastrogard would need to be given for about 1 month until they scope clear and then would maybe need to be put on a preventative.

In 'the old days' many people didn't know about ulcers or their symptoms, and would attribute a skinny horse as being high strung and fretting off weight or what have you, know we know better.

Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you need to do to feed your horses. :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
(Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was at LEGOLAND)

Horses may or may not exhibit signs of ulcers, or if they do, people sometimes think it's other problems. You'd need the vet to scope the horse. I'm not sure of the cost, it varies a bit from vet to vet. If they are present then Ulcergard or Gastrogard would need to be given for about 1 month until they scope clear and then would maybe need to be put on a preventative.

In 'the old days' many people didn't know about ulcers or their symptoms, and would attribute a skinny horse as being high strung and fretting off weight or what have you, know we know better.

Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you need to do to feed your horses. :)
Thank you :) He is loving the 3 meals a day!
I measured out feed for the next 2 days where he will be up to 4 cups of beet pulp and pellets, and a half of a cup of Canola oil.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts