The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this has never happened to me i have owned furia for half a year now and we were making great progress (she was badly treated before i bought her) she has built a great bond with me and my boyfriend even though she will have her lil paddy now and then but thats normal but yesterday i as lunging her and i have no idea what i did wrong or if i even did anything wrong but she suddenly reared up and tried to hit me with her front hoof she really scared me i told her off and carried on as if nothing had happened i dont know whether it was out of excitment, anger, agression or fear but she scared me and i dont want things like this getting between the progress and bond we have made in the last 6 months. any sugestions are highly welcome

·
Registered
965 Posts
Maybe something spooked her? It could have been anything. But I would also be scared, too, if my girl did that! Also, don't rule out any health problems that might have caused her to do that. I hope everything goes ok with you and her, and I hope the bond is still strong!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no she doent ever have a chain under her chin shes a horse that needs handleing gently after what she has been through and she gets excersise every day either riding or lunging depending on weather etc and she is healthy as she has had regular health checks by the vet since her arrival as she was pretty underweight when i took her in and he says there is absolutely nothing wrong with her health since than i have cut her ration of oats thinking maybe she got to much energy out of them write back with replies thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
How underweight was she when you bought her? My cousin took an OTTB a couple years ago and seriously, this mare was a bone rack. I know they need to be racing thin, but there was no fat, no muscle...nothing but skin and bones. We had her for about 6-7 months and fattened her up and her true nature started coming out. She was lethargic as all get out when we brought her home, but by the time we sold her, she was getting sassy. Turn her butt to you for no good reason, mini rears, just silly things that she'd NEVER done before. They were all addressed and handled well, but they were out of the blue.

Please keep in mind that a "badly treated" horse also needs a firm guiding hand at times. Just because she was "taken out behind the barn" a time too many in her lifetime doesn't mean you're not allowed to be firm with her. Obviously I'm not saying beat her next time she rears, but if she does it again while on a lungeline, I'd step out of striking distance, let her land, and circle her hard. Make it MORE work for her to rear up like that than to continue whatever you were doing with her in the first place. A bad previous owner DOES NOT make it acceptable for her to have bad behavior with you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree with eveningshadows, if she rears ignore it and keep working her, she'll soon learn that those antics won't work with you. With her attitude she might be unsure of where she stands (pecking order wise)with you and might be 'testing the waters' so to speak.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry I don't have any suggestions but could you please use fulls stops and other basic grammar, because it makes it difficult to read your posts? You might get some more replies too! :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahah sorry about the grammar. and i knew i had to keep lunging her after she reared which is what i did, but maybe not for as long as i would have, because i was nervous of her and didnt want her takin advantage of this!!! and she wasnt "skin and bones" but was definatley underweight. she is also turnin a bit snappy towards my 19 year old mare aswell, so maybe as evening shadows said shes testing everyone to see where she stands, im not sure. thanks for the replies.
emma

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep an eye on how much you are feeding her. I had a lovely quiet young filly/mare once that I could ride bridleless and bareback from the back paddock to the house. She came to me half starved and I let her gain weight slowly, so she was still slightly underweight when I sold her. The new owners rang me a week after they picked her up saying she was attacking anyone who walked into the paddock. I couldn't understand it till I found out they were feeding her up on a super concentrated feed. They changed her diet and after a week she was back to her old self.

As for her mistreatment - my retired gelding came to us as an extrememly abused 2yr old. It was a lot of work and effort but he became the BEST horse ever. I dont know if it is because you tend to put in the extra mile with them, or if it is just once they trust they are become truley yours.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes on the abused side of things she has come a very long way, before she would turn her backend to you when you tried to catch her, we couldn´t even take her head collar off for the first two weeks haha since the insident i have cut her ration of oats, as i know they can make some horses excitable, and she isnt on a concentrated feed its just bran and oats in the morning obviously hay all day and later on at nyt some more bran. later in the summer months she also has a small amount of alfalfa, and her feeding had to be done very slowly as my vet said you cant just give her loads of food and think she will get fat quick, because she wil get collic but as you can see by her photos she has put on enough weight now. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.