The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am going to be showing at a "gold" show this summer. I will be doing all four training tests and a first level and I will be judged by olympic judges.. Any tips for the test itself and/or preparing would be greatly apreciated!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
practice! And remember to keep riding when your in the test, so many people just put their horses on cruise control and they just make it around the test. Ride your horse like you do at home and you should be fine :] good luck!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Practice different bits of your test seperately only rode through it once or twice just before as nothing looks worse then a horse who can predict the next movement

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Have you done much dressage competition before?
If so, just ride like you usually would. In the basic level tests, everyone can piddle around with horsie's head in and ride to the markers. The tests that win are the stand out tests. The ones in which the rider asks for more from the horse. You want expression in the paces, ride a perfectly accurate test and biggest of all, PERFECT TRANSITIONS!!!! In Aus, usually it's the transitions that pick you up double marks, even up to medium/advanced where you are riding flying changes, half pass etc. the double marks are for the transitions in almost every test. So get your transitions spot on!

Ride in there like you know you're going to win. Look like a snob and act mighty confident even if you're not. You want to have a presence in the arena ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remember to relax, smile, and have fun. Don't be intimidated by the fact that they have judged Olympic level riders, everyone has to start riding/showing somewhere, they have seen and judged all levels of riders. In my personal experience, all of the "O" and "I" FEI judges that I have had (okay, there was *one* exception...) had great eyes when judging and increadibly helpful comments. The few that I've met in person have all turned out out to be really nice people, and seem to genuinely want to see good rides.

Other advice, make sure that you and your horse are turned out impeccably (and if you have a caller, make sure that they are also dressed appropriately). If you have white gloves, wear them. You won't likely hide anything from those judges, and best case you can show off what lovely hands you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.