The Horse Forum banner

HELP - Pushy Horse

575 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  α CMa
I’ve recently started riding a rather excitable (or rather, distractable) TB who is not only very anxious and unrelaxed under saddle but also quite disrespectful on the ground. He has no regard for personal space — when leading him he walks much to close and/or ahead of me, and when grooming or tacking up he won’t stand still! Even if he is cross-tied that doesn’t stop him from moving his hind end or trying to go forward. When I’m holding him by the reins/lead rope and I stand still, he continues to try to wander off or otherwise move his feet. He is even worse when there’s food around. This is also a problem when trying to mount.

I don’t own this horse nor do I lease him (he is a new lesson horse), and I am not very experienced in training horses so I feel I don’t have the right to try and take matters into my own hands. What I’m saying is, since I can’t work with him aside from in an hour-long lesson once or twice a week, is there anything small I can do to help fix these problems when they arise? Any quick corrections? Or is it no use with so little consistency.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
37,356 Posts
I don't think he sounds like a suitable lesson horse and if he is used in lessons where you are being charged to ride him then you shouldn't be allowing yourself to be used as his trainer - they would have to pay you to do that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.