The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like the rubber bricks for isle ways...

But as for stalls, overkill is better, make sure your mats are cut to fit snugly in your stalls. We have rubber mats on cement and it seems to be okay but we have to bed down the stalls heavily to prevent hock rubs on the bigger horses and with 12x16 stalls that is a lot of bedding!

I'd suggest maybe talking to some of the other nicer-end farms in the area to see what they did and why because there might be some geographical reasons to do something or not so something when it comes to stall bases.

Depending upon the mat though you might be able to do different things like if you were going to splurge on stable comfort flooring you could probably get away with a cement floor beneath it. But if you're going to go for just a plain rubber mat you might want to do what your thinking about or what I suggested above. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wouldn't put mats over concrete, just to hard on their legs.
If you noticed I suggested a particular brand of mat, that is more of a mattress that is designed to simulate the ground, there would be no need to use a layering system if you're putting a system like StableComfort in. Please read into what I was suggesting before you diss it and read all of what I sad. Plain mats need a different base, but the fancy mats probably don't. Might be a good idea to go research the link above to find out what StableComfort is all about before you negate my suggestion. Thank you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The thing about the stable comfort is that doing a base underneath would be pretty much pointless, no need for the drainage, the mats are completely water proof and wall to wall and are actually (what looks like to me) turned up and under a metal piece so that any moisture would be collected and not allowed to leak under. And their "mattress" type matting beneath the rubber mat is used to simulate the comfort a horse would get from standing on more natural ground without warping or becoming uneven like a dirt base. So the extra "padding" of the base that he's talking about would be a bit superfluous. It also makes the stall easy to strip and hose down (which we do between horses) without the fear of moisture leaking underneath the mat.

But, WITHOUT the stable comfort type system he will need a base and not concrete in the stalls because it will cause things like hip and hock rubs.

I do like the convenience of concrete because we do hose down the stalls between horses so my choice would be the stable comfort because it would allow for this option and still provide everything you need in a stall mat/base without having to dig and layer as deep. Just throw down concrete and do the StableComfort system and your horse is covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.