The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my new horse. he is 4 yrs old and gelded and never has been separated from his mom. i even had to take his mom (they were free). he is a great horse. im training him to ride and have made several attempts at stalling him. he either tries to jump the door or he barges through it. he has broke many stall doors and wood. i even tried stalling him with another horse with him in a foaling stall. that did not work. i even had his mom across the hall from him and that did not work. any ideas or helpful hints would be great!!
cross-tying is another downfall. he just will not stand still. he can tie with just a single but not the double :( when he is tied, he paws. when i have him cross-tied he normally turns around in them. but when i turn him the other way he does the same thing.
the lady that has the place where i am keeping him at the moment got the mare (his mom).
biggest problem of his problem maybe because he could be buddy-sour. but he really does not have any horse buddies that his huge side-by-side all the time.
any suggestions will be put to good use. i have never had this problem before so i am stuck. i feel like i have to babysit him all the time. i know he is still a baby kind of. but it is time to spread his wings. it was time for that 3 1/2 years ago.

thanks for reading!!

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Think of it from his point of view. You are removing his ability to escape ie. he's feeling trapped. When you put him in a stall, stay with him for a few min. then lead him out. Throw a treat in his bucket when he goes in the stall. You may have to do this many times, gradually lenthening his time in there. If he is ok with a single tie then why worry about putting him in crossties. Horses have been known to flip over backwards and break their withers or smash their polls. Either way it could be a death sentence. Can you not leave the horses outside for the night? They'd be a lot happier being out 24/7 and healthier.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i just got him 3 weeks ago.
i know it is healthier for him to be out but i would like for him to be able to be stalled in cause of emergencies. also he is my future barrel horse. we will be traveling. i need him to be able to be stalled and tied.
you can not even stand with him. that does not work.
i have not tried the hay because we do not have any square bales.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would get him as far away from his mom as possible. Work him hard in a roundpen or arena, whatever you have, then let him stand tied inside the stall. If he fusses, get him back out and work him again, then back to the stall to be tied. Repeat until he figures the stall is a good place. I would have hay and water inside the stall where he can reach it, even big bales can be broken apart and stuffed in a haybag.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
make the bad hard and the good easy,, feed him in the stall and leave the door open so he can walk out when he is done, do that a few days, also when you put him in stall, as soon as he acts up take him out lunge him, put him back in stall, if he acts up repeat, over and over, he'll catch on pretty quick,

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Ahh.. this is why I HATE dutch doors on a stall! Get him in a stall with a floor to ceiling door and bars to the ceiling or solid walls. Oakd to kicking height is best. Get some nice grass hay, a solid water bucket, a little grain (a pound) and set the stall up. Get him in the stall and shut the door and let the ruckus begin. IOW's get a stall that he cannot go over the side of or the door of.

Drill a hole in one wall so you can watch him (or check in case things suddenly get too quiet.. as he may become cast and need rescue).

I had a couple like this (when I got horses that I bought, trained and resold). That is how I handled it. Some of these horses were as afraid of humans as they were of the stall so I needed that horse to be in a stall to get him working with me. By putting him in the stall and letting him "figure it out" I was not there to be associated with all his negativity. Fact is, some of those horses did not eat or drink unless I was there with them so they would learn to associate me with good stuff (like food and water). Lots of hours of work to get what I needed but in the end they all became good horses.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
make the bad hard and the good easy,, feed him in the stall and leave the door open so he can walk out when he is done, do that a few days, also when you put him in stall, as soon as he acts up take him out lunge him, put him back in stall, if he acts up repeat, over and over, he'll catch on pretty quick,
I agree with Joe. I do something similar teaching horses to get in trailers for the first time. Feed him in there with the door open and sit with him. Make it where he can't eat dinner unless he enters the stall where the food is. Just sit and watch he will get hungry enough to go in there I promise. Take it slow, keep calm, and just repeat that process daily. Lunging him will take him mind off it but it will also work out some of that nervousness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.