The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get rid of indigo's halter that he came with.
it seem's a bit to small for him and the band doesnt fit well around his nose, i am putting a much better halter for him until i get a new nylon halter for him.
But i would REALLY like to get rid of his crappy old Nylon halter !
my only issue, is I CANT UNDO THE BUCKLE !
it is really fustrating, it is -35 (with the wind chill)Celcius ( i think thats right) and its FREEZING !
So im tired of sitting there trying to yank this silly thing off without giving him an accidental blow to the head.
It's a rather wierd looking bucklet :S i will try to get a photo of it, but ive been yanking and pulling at it for about 20 minutes, i just cant seem to get the goofy thing off :-|

Any idea's ? ive tried looking at it to see any other buckle's and there is none, no threads that i can cut to get it off around, it's to tight around the top and bottom to pull it over top his ear's in my opinion.
the only way is to get really good scissor's and spend extra time cutting it or taking that buckle off... it is going right into the garbage after i get it off..so i could care less what i do to get it off, as long as it doesnt hurt my horse.

I would like answer's and suggestions ASAP thank you :)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I would really suggest taking the scissors to it. Or a pair of old hoof nippers if you have access to them. They are not nearly as likely to stab him if he moves. I think that I would cut the throatlatch though. That should give you enough play in the halter to slip it off over his ears.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I'd vote to cut it off if you can't undo the buckle... If you have one of those hand warmer packet thingy's you could try warming it up with that...that might help it unbuckle more easily...
Your best bet is probably to cut it off though, especially since you tried for twenty minutes, it'll probably take less than that to cut it off. =P

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Do you have a pair of wire cutters? They are less cumbersome than hoof nippers. Or you can soak the buckle in baby oil and kind of wiggle it until it loosens...

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Good thinking Honeysuga. The wire cutters are easier to handle and most people have a pair of them. Not so many have access to nippers. :D

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i could try the baby oil and the throatlatch thing.
I dont think i have any of the wire cutters etc.
But the silly little buckle thing isnt frozen, it just doesnt want to give to let the nylon hole get out of the latch !
:(
I will go try again with some scissor's to the throatlatch, if not my dad is going to help me cut it off with some scissors.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good luck with that :)
Just take care to point away from the horse as best as you can!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woot !
We got it off with some side cutters :)
First we cut the throatlatch than slipped it over his ears !
he looks much more better !
it was almost STUCK to him, it was pretty tight, around the base of the ears, now there is an area with not alot of thick fur, ( he is very fuzzy from his winter coat)

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Oops! Posted same time as you (1 min off) so mine came right after your update about getting it off! Be sure to post pics of his new halter! BTW, pm me on how Boo Bear is doing! :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ PM'd you :)

He will be wearing one of pepper's leather bridle/halter's
you can attach a bit and take it off.
But it will do until i can go to the tack shop and pick him up his new lime green halter :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Man, that must've been annoying! Hope he appreciates his new halter!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was :(
im just glad it is finally off him now LOL !
im still having a toss up wether lime green or dark red.. for colors i love to color coordinate LOL

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Take a pair of hoof nippers, or a really good pocket knife, and cut one of the bottom straps, that way you can simply slip the thing over his head...

ETA...ooops, just noticed you got it off!!!

I highly recommend a strong BLUE for your guy!!! :D Have fun halter shopping!

·
Registered
548 Posts
We dont let the horse's wear halter's when they are turned out.

Ahh sorry I misunderstood. I am glad to hear that! I knew a girl back in high school who turned her mare out in a halter and ended up breaking her neck because she got a hoof caught up in it. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, it is all good.
i know some people who do that.
usually we keep the halter's on for awhile till we can catch the horse and get to know it better, than we take them off :)
Of course for safety purposes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts