The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I need some help. Last year, Bodan started itching his butt. He has never done this before and he did it to such a degree that he was bleeding and his tail was about gone! My vet was throwing everything at him including dex, hydrocortizone, tri hist, the works. He finally got better but now it's back! He has been dewormed, pin worm tested, sheath cleaned, everything and we still don't know what this could be. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. This is him last fall.
IMG_4526.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg

This is him today.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
All the Dex and Tri-Hist did for my horse was make a nut job out of him.

I can tell you what worked for my gelding after all those things you did that I also did and didn’t solve the issue —— I added 3,000 IU extra of All Natural Vitamin E with no fillers in it To his diet every day. Not cheap but it worked.

I did that two years ago and he still gets 3,000 IU extra All Natural vitamin E. I buy mine from HorseTech. It’s not cheap but it’s cheaper than drugs, a lot healthier and seems to keep a thick head of hair on his tail dock.

As to the “why” —— no answer here either. I even changed shavings brands and that didn’t help. The Vitamin E has been all that has worked:)

My horse is also on a grain-free diet.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
How did you come up with that as an option? How are the two related?
I came up with it on the off-chance the horse had an immune deficiency after seeing what large doses of Vitamin E did for a different, elder horse with rain rot.

Sometimes what Is provided in a Ration balancer or a bag of mixed feed just isn’t enough:)

Regarding the dosage, I knew I could go as high as 5,000 IU daily but I decided to start with a lower amount, knowing I could increase if necessary.

My disclaimer is this works for my horse and is not based on any scientific studies - purely anecdotal:) To reiterate, he is also on a grain and soy-free diet as he has sensitivity to them.

This is the Big Guy who so far is keeping his tail. We are in the SE. His issues start in July if he is going to lose tail hair, which he has not for the last two years:)

This was summer of 2020, so Rusty was 26 in this foto.

36AADFEF-C471-4F77-93BE-7E2AD322C048.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try this - wash the tail with Head & Shoulders, completely rinse, saturate tail bone with cider vinegar. Even though your vet checked for pin worms put a tube of Panacur up his butt.
This has worked for me for over 40 years

·
Super Moderator
26,947 Posts
Sierra did this last summer. I dewormed her, used anti fungal spray etc. My vet said this year for me to give her Clariton. (sorry about the spelling).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have one that scratches despite having been dewormed multiple times. I also tried adding Vitamin E and also Omega Oils. The biggest help I saw was when in desperation I used Selsun Blue and let it sit on for 10 minutes. She completely stopped scratching for a week! If I do it weekly, she's fine. Neutrogena T Gel, Extra Strength works really well too. Then I condition it. If it comes back, I may be massaging Lamasil Cream into her tail skin in between washes LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts