The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A40A2BDC-2696-447B-897E-029E76884AA9.jpeg
A40A2BDC-2696-447B-897E-029E76884AA9.jpeg

I’m not sure why my CWD is doing this. It is older and the leather isn’t super quality and supple like newer CWD’s. I’m worried that I may have over-oiled it or something? If I run my finger nail down it, it scratches very easily but it can be slightly rubbed away?? Has anyone else had this happen and maybe know how to fix it? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Friction from something.

Reactions: Kalraii

·
Registered
49,421 Posts
look to your pants/ breeches . . . is there a bulky seam there?
you can always put on a sheepskin cover over it to protect the saddle seat.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It looks like it might have rubbed during transport. Sometimes saddles flip over and are transported upside down in cars or trucks. It must be really old leather since you can mar it with your fingernail. I would get a fleece cover and keep using it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Does someone ride in anything other than breeches?
I had someone borrow a saddle and ride in jeans and it came back like that. I was not happy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The usual culprit is the bottom of the zip on a jacket :( You really need a double zip you can un-zip upwards so it doesn't rub on pommel leather.
I have had a zipper leave several light scratches in the pommel of my saddle too, thankfully which buffed out with some conditioner as if they were never there (older Courbette with super sturdy leather). Even if it wasn't damaging, it still bugged me to no end. I don't think I have anything that unzips upwards, but have stuck to pullover hoodies or the kind that only zip about halfway down ever since!

I also had a pair of breeches in which the button came off and a staple was left exposed, which caused a long scratch while dismounting. Considering they were relatively new breeches, I was VERY upset, but thankfully that buffed out as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts