The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my gelding stalled at a barn. He is very comfortable and happy in his stall. However, he destroys it. He pees so much that I almost have to strip his stall every other day. I'm currently using medium flake shavings. What should I do??? I can't afford to be burning through bedding as much as I am now.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I suppose we'd need more information. How big is his stall? What is the flooring- mats with shavings over it, or something else? How deep are you bedding it? How many hours per day is he in his stall?

What is his diet? some horse on an all alfalfa diet will pee more because there is more protein in the hay than they need for muscles and so pee out the excess after their body has processed it.

I strip my gelding's stall daily. I joke that he's Sir Mix-a-lot because he circles and grinds all the manure and urine and bedding into an even mix. But! His stall is 1" rubber mats over gravel and I only give him a small amount of shavings, just to absorb the urine, since I know I'll have to strip them all anyway. The rubber mats give him all the padding he needs. If the stall wasn't matted, he'd need several inches of bedding for cushion and to keep the urine from soaking into the floor.

I'd recommend the pellets or fine shavings if you're bedding over rubber mats. They're far more absorbent than the bigger ones. Some horses are just pee machines and mess makers.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
A horse in the stable I take lessons at was like your gelding, just an astonishing urinator. What they didn't know for awhile (until he was put into a stall without an automatic waterer) was he was also an astonishing drinker. Turned out he had Cushings.

Something you might consider checking out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.