The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we finally moved pancho to where ill be keeping him at. I fed him and we went out into the larger part of the corral and he was having fun runnin around but the problem I am having is my boyfriend and I will be standing by the fence talking and he comes up for us to pet him while we start doing that he will start to BITE!!

He trys biting my boyfriends ankles when you go to push him away he trys biting your hands. It seems like a playful manner but is not acceptable! I smacked my hands together and told him to quit and he did but 5 minutes later comes back and does the same thing to where he wont listen to the hand smacking.. Any advice would be awesome.

Also I was walking away and I guess the other owner usto play with him by wrestling a little with him. Hes over 6 ft and im only 5 ft and he ended up running at me and almost knocking me over I turned around smacked my hands and told him to quit which he did and knows not to run up to me.

Today I will be taking him into the round pen to do some ground work. what should I start on first? he is a little mouthy when the halter is on and lead rope is on aswell.

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
Do some ground work with him and gain his respect. When he bites you need to have a very well placed hard SMACK on the nose and a "NO!" consistently. If he bites at your BF's ankles, he needs to give him a heel in the nose (be careful not to hit him hard enough to break his teeth).

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
People do not wrestle with horses. His previous owner just let this horse act in a very disrespectful way. The noise is just distracting him from what he's doing but its not telling him that its wrong. If he pushes you, run him off. If you need to carry a whip, do so.

If he bites and he's loose, run him off. If be bites and he's in hand, work him HARD. Back him up hard and fast. Convince him he is about to be your next meal.

I'm assuming he's trying to ankle bite while under saddle? Don't let him turn his head. If he bites, turn him in tight tight circles and you bop him in the nose with your foot.

Things like this you have to be tough about. Biting and trampling are never okay. They're not just "playing".
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not under saddle its when he is running around free in the corral. I just moved him from his previous owners house last night so I want him to get usto us and use to the surroundings

·
Registered
14,257 Posts
You need to be the herd leader. If he did this to horse that was dominant over him, he would get kicked & bit for that, the boss doesn't stomp his hoof! Never mind smacking your hands together, it doesn't work as you have noticed. When he goes to mouth or bite at you for any reason, playfully or whatever, a hard smack wherever you can land it as quickly as possible. You will not make him headshy, your slap ain't nothing compared to a reprimand that another horse would deliver to him if he bit at them. Biting at your BF's ankles needs a boot to the mouth, as another person has posted, but be careful about kicking too hard as a bit of damage could happen, but a normal thump kick so he feels it will be effective & I doubt he will try that again. This horse thinks he the boss of lowly humans, don't let him get away with any aggressive behavior. Carry a whip and use it hard if he tries running you over, if you get caught without a whip & he crowds you, elbow him hard & quickly. This is not cruelty to your horse at all, it is fair herd dynamics, the only thing your horse will understand. Your horse will respect you and want to please more as you are the leader of the herd, a fair leader, not one that punishes for no reason but for dominant behavior.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: toto

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Heres what happened so far today...

This am we ended up feeding him. He was fine no biting. He was in a corral next to 2 mares. ( a mule and a mustang ) The owner of the ranch ended up letting the mares into the bigger corral where pancho was at in while I barley laid the hay down. Then here comes the problem... the mares rushed him kicked at him bit at him to get away from his hay. I informed the owner that he should of atleast waited until he was done eating before letting them in there with him and he said " well they need to get to know each other " So after the commotion was over we were in the big corral and they mares wouldn't let him near us at all!! so that's when the biting started and the rushing me started.

We ended up coming home and had some breakfast and we went straight back there to see if anything happened to see if they ended up getting along. We went into the corral and same stuff. The mares kept rushing at him when we tried getting to him or they kept running infront of us not go to near him. Finally after an hr or so fight we got the mares into the other corral to separate them.

He noticed they couldn't get to him so the biting started even worse. he ran behind me while I was closing the gate to the mares gate and he bit the crap out of my ear! thankfully my hair was down and its thick! then my neck my shoulders arms and hands! each time he did it I gave him a smack on the nose or where I could at the time. when I did that I would turn my head to look at my bf and he would pin his ears back and try it again. I finally got to irritated I went and had to smoke a cigg.

I ended up going back in there after 10 minutes. he still kept trying to bite was fine putting the halter on though and the lead rope lol but after that he wouldn't stop. I finally yanked the lead rope down and told him stop. I got him out of there to walk him to the round pen. after he munched on some hay and some other weeds he was fine. he bit me one more time after that but again I yanked the lead rope. we walked him around for an hr or so I groomed him a little got his mane untangled. while he was eating because HE WONT STAND STILL!

After that we put him in the area we were supposed to too begin with a nice 10 acre pasture. he drank some water and came to the fence cause I told him I needed to take his halter off.. just a question... do you think he was acting like that towards my bf and I because of how the mares were treating him? maybe he wasn't comfortable in that corral? he seemed much happier on the 10 acres and hes not hard to catch at all... I just cant leave him out there for a long time cause I need to build a shade out there. It gets way to hot here in new mexico without a shade..

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
There may be a screw loose in there if he's not responding at all. Did you have him checked by a vet before you bought him?

No eating while he's being brushed. If he wants to walk, he can walk in a tight circle or he may stand still. You have to take control of this horse or he's going to hurt you worse than he already is.
Be careful.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You are overhorsed here and have a spoiled horse to boot, which is bordering on dangerous.

Horses that do this type of thing can and will kill you.

You also don't have enough experience to be dealing with a horse like this.

You need to get former owner to take him back....this horse is NOT playing with you.

And is he gelded?

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Thanks everyone. Heres what happened so far today...

This am we ended up feeding him. He was fine no biting. He was in a corral next to 2 mares. ( a mule and a mustang ) The owner of the ranch ended up letting the mares into the bigger corral where pancho was at in while I barley laid the hay down. Then here comes the problem... the mares rushed him kicked at him bit at him to get away from his hay. I informed the owner that he should of atleast waited until he was done eating before letting them in there with him and he said " well they need to get to know each other " So after the commotion was over we were in the big corral and they mares wouldn't let him near us at all!! so that's when the biting started and the rushing me started.

We ended up coming home and had some breakfast and we went straight back there to see if anything happened to see if they ended up getting along. We went into the corral and same stuff. The mares kept rushing at him when we tried getting to him or they kept running infront of us not go to near him. Finally after an hr or so fight we got the mares into the other corral to separate them.

He noticed they couldn't get to him so the biting started even worse. he ran behind me while I was closing the gate to the mares gate and he bit the crap out of my ear! thankfully my hair was down and its thick! then my neck my shoulders arms and hands! each time he did it I gave him a smack on the nose or where I could at the time. when I did that I would turn my head to look at my bf and he would pin his ears back and try it again. I finally got to irritated I went and had to smoke a cigg.

I ended up going back in there after 10 minutes. he still kept trying to bite was fine putting the halter on though and the lead rope lol but after that he wouldn't stop. I finally yanked the lead rope down and told him stop. I got him out of there to walk him to the round pen. after he munched on some hay and some other weeds he was fine. he bit me one more time after that but again I yanked the lead rope. we walked him around for an hr or so I groomed him a little got his mane untangled. while he was eating because HE WONT STAND STILL!

After that we put him in the area we were supposed to too begin with a nice 10 acre pasture. he drank some water and came to the fence cause I told him I needed to take his halter off.. just a question... do you think he was acting like that towards my bf and I because of how the mares were treating him? maybe he wasn't comfortable in that corral? he seemed much happier on the 10 acres and hes not hard to catch at all... I just cant leave him out there for a long time cause I need to build a shade out there. It gets way to hot here in new mexico without a shade..
I feel the issue is this horse is will rather young and so he's very personable to monkey-see monkey-do. He's trying to push you around like the mares do to him.

You were right, you don't just throw in a bunch of horses mid-meal. You introduce them slowly.

Have a crop with you and smack the fence when he does that, to try to chase him off. If he doesn't move, then smack him with it. A horse can cause serious damage as they have a VERY STRONG jaw.

Whatever you do, don't move away from him (unless you are in serious danger) always make him move away from you. The herd leader pushes other horses around.. he's trying to push you around. Don't let him do that.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I'm wondering if the biting is how he deals with stress, the stress of feeling the need to defend himself. I saw this in a mini, bullied by everything and eventually he turned his teeth and heels on everything including the owner. Be consistent in making the unwanted behaviour unpleasant and rewarding good behaviour with rubbing or scratching. Nothing like scratching bug bites for a reward. Mine go into contortions and one even trembles. Feel for small scabby bites under his front legs, his chest, base of his ears. These are especially good when teaching a horse to stand.

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
I feel the issue is this horse is will rather young and so he's very personable to monkey-see monkey-do. He's trying to push you around like the mares do to him.

You were right, you don't just throw in a bunch of horses mid-meal. You introduce them slowly.

Have a crop with you and smack the fence when he does that, to try to chase him off. If he doesn't move, then smack him with it. A horse can cause serious damage as they have a VERY STRONG jaw.

Whatever you do, don't move away from him (unless you are in serious danger) always make him move away from you. The herd leader pushes other horses around.. he's trying to push you around. Don't let him do that.
I second the crop. Keep him out of your space. You have got to get some respect out of this horse. Does he doe this to everyone? Or just you and bf?

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
You are overhorsed here and have a spoiled horse to boot, which is bordering on dangerous.

Horses that do this type of thing can and will kill you.

You also don't have enough experience to be dealing with a horse like this.

You need to get former owner to take him back....this horse is NOT playing with you.

And is he gelded?

Dramatic much?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It may be helpful to find some videos of horse herd behavior. The low man on the totem pole (new horse/ young horse) is only allowed to eat with permission from the alpha mare. Especially in wild horse herds, young boys his age are run off from their maternal herd and end up forming their own bachelor band. It's like a frat party, they bite and kick and rear and chase each other all the time. They do that to establish dominance and to hone fighting skills in hopes of one day luring some young pretty mares away into a herd of his very own.

My Mustang has scars and a piece of an ear tip missing from his bachelor days. It's not cute, it's not playful, it's very dangerous. If you type in "biting horse" into the Forum search bar at the top of the page you'll find TONS of advice for handling this very serious misbehavior.

I'm glad you've got this horse now, you seem more knowledgeable about horses than his previous owners. It's pretty frustrating fixing someone else's mistakes but just stay firm, make the rules crystal clear, make no excuses for him and you'll do fine. I'm sure at one point he was just a tiny, cute, spunky little baby that loved to nibble on fingers and jackets. They just don't stay tiny for long and biting is never ok!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone I will keep you all updated.

We just got back from feeding. we walked in there to see how he would act with us since hes been in the pasture and he didn't pin his ears back once! didn't even try to bite me or my boyfriend.

He never done this to us or anyone before. I did get him checked by a vet before I bought him as well all she said is hes 100% healthy but a handful lol and yes he is gelded still young though only 2 or 2 1/2

I understand he is still young and I don't have experience on horses as much as everyone else but I have owned 2 horses before and my thoroughbred would do that too but only when saddling up.

He seems a lot happier being away from those mares though and I don't blame him they are a major pain in the butt!

·
Registered
14,257 Posts
Do you know why the horse is biting at you even more after being bullied by the mares? I know exactly why, he doesn't want to be at the very bottom of the pecking order, he just put you there. As for those mares charging at you, NONSENSE, carry a whip and chase those evil witches right back with authority, and get your horse and make him behave. You need to be in charge and the boss of every horse on this planet, otherwise get out of the pasture until someone helps you.

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
dont ever underestimate what a horse can do- definitely could kill a human easy- their 1000 pounds to your 100- thats something to think about-- add in an un experienced horse owner and the odds go up.

aint seen a person wrestling with a horse before-- sounds like a lose lose match to me.. i do know that (wild) stallions 'wrestle' each other- they bite the ankles of other stallions to make them pick their feet up or trip them then throw their shoulder into them pushing them down with their neck to kill them and show their dominance over the other stallion-- sounds like what your horse is trying to do with your boyfriend.. you know when stallions fight theyre trying to kill each other and it does happen-- unless the other stallion is faster and runs away.

Id be worried about your horses dominant behavior- not something to shrug your shoulders at.. he needs a good whoopin and manners like others posted.. no nibbling- make him stand still- If he wont you make him move around untill he wants to. Every step he takes forward you make him take a step back- if he dont understand that make him take two steps back- still aint getting it- make him take three steps back- etcetra.

I think you did good about yankng his lead when he tries to bite you- id make him do lunge work after that too and see if he dont change his tune.. if he dont make him do more work!

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
Do you have someone to help you with him? Or are you on your own?
If you're doing this yourself you need some kind of ground work program to teach him respect. I like Clinton Anderson myself and also Julie Goodnight.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I do not think you are taking this horse's behavior nearly as serious as you should. I know too many people that started out with horses behaving like this and ended up hurt. When you slap at him and clap your hands and push him away, you are only making it worse. If it does not hurt him (I mean really actually hurt) you are only upping the game he is playing with you.

Don't worry about hurting him. [You can't]
Don't worry about hurting his feelings. [I hope you do.]
Don't worry about him not 'liking' you. [He will like you better when he respects you.]

He will trust you more when he respects you.

Some things to remember:

NEVER step back away from him. He who moves back loses!.

NEVER ask him to do anything that you are not willing and able to make him do There is not harm in 'not asking'. There is HUGE harm in not getting it done once you ask.

NEVER change your mind once you ask him to do something. [He knows.]

ALWAYS follow through with everything you start. [I have finished some things after dark by head-light -- more than once.]

ALWAYS keep one eye on him when leading and handling him. He is far from being 'trustworthy' yet.

ALWAYS turn him toward the right when you are leading him.

NEVER let him step past you or come around you or go to the left.

If he takes one step toward you, make him back up 10 steps away from you.

It is much more effective to give on a hard jerk or two with a lead-rope than it is to hit one. I have found that there is almost always a better way to discipline a horse than to hit him.

NEVER let discipline turn into a game -- like a game of hit and duck or bite and dodge the hit or slap that they know is coming.

You are MUCH better off getting after a horse very severely and only having to do it once or twice. If you have to get after any horse more than twice for the same or similar thing, your technique is ineffective and you have failed to teach the correct lesson.

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER 'peck' or 'nag' at a horse. Get after oneseverely and decisively and then leave him alone. The only reward to MUST to give a horse is a lack of pressure and acceptance of what he does. Whatever he is doing when you 'back off' and remove all pressure is what you are training him to do.

SO, if he belligerently steps toward you and you have to back up to feel safe, you have just taught him to be aggressive, taught him to be mean and that HE WINS!

Goo luck. Cherie

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do not think you are taking this horse's behavior nearly as serious as you should. I know too many people that started out with horses behaving like this and ended up hurt. When you slap at him and clap your hands and push him away, you are only making it worse. If it does not hurt him (I mean really actually hurt) you are only upping the game he is playing with you.

Don't worry about hurting him. [You can't]
Don't worry about hurting his feelings. [I hope you do.]
Don't worry about him not 'liking' you. [He will like you better when he respects you.]

He will trust you more when he respects you.

Some things to remember:

NEVER step back away from him. He who moves back loses!.

NEVER ask him to do anything that you are not willing and able to make him do There is not harm in 'not asking'. There is HUGE harm in not getting it done once you ask.

NEVER change your mind once you ask him to do something. [He knows.]

ALWAYS follow through with everything you start. [I have finished some things after dark by head-light -- more than once.]

ALWAYS keep one eye on him when leading and handling him. He is far from being 'trustworthy' yet.

ALWAYS turn him toward the right when you are leading him.

NEVER let him step past you or come around you or go to the left.

If he takes one step toward you, make him back up 10 steps away from you.

It is much more effective to give on a hard jerk or two with a lead-rope than it is to hit one. I have found that there is almost always a better way to discipline a horse than to hit him.

NEVER let discipline turn into a game -- like a game of hit and duck or bite and dodge the hit or slap that they know is coming.

You are MUCH better off getting after a horse very severely and only having to do it once or twice. If you have to get after any horse more than twice for the same or similar thing, your technique is ineffective and you have failed to teach the correct lesson.

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER 'peck' or 'nag' at a horse. Get after oneseverely and decisively and then leave him alone. The only reward to MUST to give a horse is a lack of pressure and acceptance of what he does. Whatever he is doing when you 'back off' and remove all pressure is what you are training him to do.

SO, if he belligerently steps toward you and you have to back up to feel safe, you have just taught him to be aggressive, taught him to be mean and that HE WINS!

Goo luck. Cherie
Excellent well thought out advice and tips from Cherie as usual! I never tire of reading your posts!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
This horse is dangerous. I think you should really reconsider owning him.

Forget walking out there with a crop. Get a lunge whip and do not let him charge you, much less creep on you and bite.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.