Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

So I've been looking for a horse for a while now and I have seen a couple of mares that fit my criteria. I have heard that mares get really 'b***hy' (I didn't want to say the word in full because I don't want to be banned)
When they are in heat?

What are the pros and cons to owning a mare?

·
Registered
899 Posts
if you're going off of hear-say and need pros-cons regarding whether or not, a mare is will be a suitable match for you perhaps you might probably consider leasing or at the very least bringing a knowledgeable equestrian (who knows your abilities and skill set) with you to look at your potential purchases. Perhaps taking a look at the threads posted at the top of this section of the forum might be useful to you...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you're going off of hear-say and need pros-cons regarding whether or not, a mare is will be a suitable match for you perhaps you might probably consider leasing or at the very least bringing a knowledgeable equestrian (who knows your abilities and skill set) with you to look at your potential purchases. Perhaps taking a look at the threads posted at the top of this section of the forum might be useful to you...
Okay thank you. I'll just google it :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
We have a mare who is b****y. I've met some who are just like geldings. It depends. A lot of times if a mare that someone is selling has a steady disposition they'll say 'not mareish.' But in general yes they're funny in heat but overall they can make great partners.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a mare who is b****y. I've met some who are just like geldings. It depends. A lot of times if a mare that someone is selling has a steady disposition they'll say 'not mareish.' But in general yes they're funny in heat but overall they can make great partners.
Thanks :) That's all I really wanted to know really. I think I might stick with geldings. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with the above poster, it really just depends on the horse. Some of the mares I've met can be completely different horses when they're in heat, but many are absolutely fine! I've found my QH mare to be very independent and sweet no matter what the season, and I would have to say that if I were buying another horse, I really wouldn't consider it a major factor because it can fluctuate so much from horse to horse. You could just as likely get a gelding with a vice or sour disposition as a mare who is nasty in heat, you really just have to get to know the horse.

Ask the people who are around the mare how she is during heat. Not so much the owner, unless you know and trust them a lot, because they are trying to sell you something, but rather the people who clean her stall, turn her out, feed, etc.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with the above poster, it really just depends on the horse. Some of the mares I've met can be completely different horses when they're in heat, but many are absolutely fine! I've found my QH mare to be very independent and sweet no matter what the season, and I would have to say that if I were buying another horse, I really wouldn't consider it a major factor because it can fluctuate so much from horse to horse. You could just as likely get a gelding with a vice or sour disposition as a mare who is nasty in heat, you really just have to get to know the horse.

Ask the people who are around the mare how she is during heat. Not so much the owner, unless you know and trust them a lot, because they are trying to sell you something, but rather the people who clean her stall, turn her out, feed, etc.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree, though in my experience with mares the word I would use for most of them is stubborn or lazy, not b***chy really. That might just be that I've been lucky with mares though, but I do really like them.

It's like people really - some women are insufferable on their periods, and some are just like normal. You'd really have to meet the mare a few times to see what she's like in and out of heat.

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
If you are just starting out with horses, you must buy a mare. All first time owners should have mares, you must pay your dues!

Reactions: Alexandra V

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you are just starting out with horses, you must buy a mare. All first time owners should have mares, you must pay your dues!
Haha! Pay your dues.... Love it. 😄
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never had a mare, nor ever rid one! I have had geldings! ;)

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Every horse is an individual and should be treated as such. I've known mares that would break fences flirting with the "the boys" (or anything with 4 legs really) and mares who you couldn't even tell were in heat. I'd say most fall somewhere in the middle. Two weeks of maybe some attitude, back soreness, flirting, etc. It would be a shame to pass up on a horse just because if it's gender. Also, being a mare is NO excuse for bad behavior. My mare tends to have a pretty hardcore heat cycle. She love to be squirting all over the barn like a hussy, but it's a no no, and she knows that. Other then that she can be a hair more crabby, but not mean or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.