The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved recently and the property I bought has an old barn. The stalls were filled with old manure; I cleaned out three of them and filled the "holes" (a.k.a. big pits in the middle and around feeders) with sand, packed it as best I could and put down stall mats. I was hoping that the mats would distribute weight enough to keep it level...

Anyway, my horse hates enclosed areas so her method of entering the stall is to jump. Doesn't help that Mississippi is really wet right now and she sinks into mud by the door where runoff accumulates which she also hates. Sand is shifting and mats are sliding. I'm also putting sand near the door so that the mud drains better. What can I do short of pulling out the mats and all the sand to stabilize the floor so at least the floor below the mats doesn't shift?

I feed her in the stall because it's the only way to keep her hay dry

Also - would like to connect with others in the area that have horses. ideas how to do that?

·
Super Moderator
12,918 Posts
There are several social media sites that host local equine groups. I would look there first. We do have members that connect through this site but since we are international in scope there are no local groups.

The barn - will need an overhaul. Sand won't cut it as you are finding out. You need to direct water away from the area it is pooling even if it means a temp fix of shoveling a trench by hand. The stalls need to be dug out to level and back filled with a base material that needs compacted and surface that drains but does not shift under the mats.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I have dug trenches, but in all honesty, there isn't standing water, it is knee-deep mud. Added more sand to fill the holes and the stall's floor seems more stable now. Also added a bunch of sand to the soil by her stall door and made the ground more solid. Plan on rain gutters after get the wood resealed and stained/painted. Plan to have a load of sand dumped beside the barn on both sides with stalls to build a more solid surface and get a bit of a slope

1 - 3 of 3 Posts