Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i have this AMAZING horse.
But ... he's REALLY lazy, he's also very healthy, and i know he can jump.
I have set up small jumps (under a foot high) and trotting poles, he dodges the trotting poles -,- he has jumped over the small jumps, but the problem is he sometimes dodges them, or plows through them. I have a riding crop, but i don't like to use it - i don't like artifical aids.
Hes old too, about 23-24 years old. He walks/trots, and he can canter, but it takes all my will power to get him to go that fast. I haven't gotten a lesson before in my life either, so if you can, could you also give me some tips on my body position? And, I was also wondering, if it's possible that he won't jump, because the jumps don't look inviting? Because they are just some sticks proped up on two buckets.
I don't have any videos of me riding, but i have tons of pics of my horse and his name is Flash just so you know :p
some advice would be appreciated!! :)

I'll put up a pic soon

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Agree with Allie on this, also could it be that maybe your not riding with enough contact, no leg aids, ect. But I seriously suggest getting a vet to have a look :D

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Is he LEARNING how to jump at 23?? IMO that's a little old to start a career in jumping. Agreed with JDI, you might want to have a vet look at him.

I'm going to go out on a limb though and guess most of this is caused by rider error and possibly lack of proper training on the horse's part. A pole sitting on a bucket less then a foot high is pretty darn 'inviting'.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Of course, first you must rule out physical issues.

However, once you've established that he's physcially able, take a look at how you desribed the problem: "...dodges the trotting poles -,- he has jumped over the small jumps, but the problem is he sometimes dodges them, or plows through them."

Can you make him trot or canter a straight line? Consistently? Can you ride circles, figures and patterns and put his body where you want it? Can you shorten and lengthen his stride?

"I have a riding crop, but i don't like to use it - i don't like artifical aids." I'm sure your horse very much appreciates your reluctance to use artificial aids. How do you reinforce your natural aids if he's not listening or paying adequate attention?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
^exactly, exactlty EXACTLY! I would get the vet out too, look at legs, back, teath, etc. Then look at yourself. A) I don't jump without a trainer, period. I might take Blue over a few jumps here or there at home, but that's only beacuse I trust myself and her that we can both jump 2' with ease. I wouldn't rely on people over the internet to coach you, only a trainer, standing there, in real life, can help you and your horse jump properly.

To adress the 'issue' you are having, I would go back to what the previous poster stated. Dressage and flatwork are the two most important things in the world of horses. You need to be able to ride perfectly straight, able to get the horse moving from the hind end (I suspect this is the prime reason he is "plowing through the jumps"), you need to be able to ask for a little collection or a little extension, you need to be able to ride a stedy circle or serpintine. Then you have to look at yourself, the only reason a horse would duck out of a jump is because the rider is unsupportive, or the horse feels uncapable of jumping the jump. Any horse could jump over an 18" pole on a bucket, so it's not his lack of capabilities, therefor, it must be the rider. Are you supporting him evenly with both sides of your body? Pushing him from his hind end up into your hands with impulsion? Supporting him to the base of the jump, over the jump, and on the away side? These are all little things that make up the whole picture of jumping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.