The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First above all, I want to earn money so I will have enough money to pay for horse related things... ( many things, I do know what I am talking about, and stuff like that, please stay with the subject while commenting :) thanks )

Okay so I know the usual, babysitting, dog walking, mowing lawns, chores, etc, etc, etc. But #1 I don't really feel comfortable going into strangers homes to babysit, since I do not know any younger children that would need babysitting, other then really close family, that I am expected to babysit for free. (>,<)

For those who do not know - (>,<) = annoyed face :)

:eek:fftopic:

Back to the subject...
Also, I dont believe people could trust me with walking their dogs, and if they did what if something happend??? i would be in HUGE trouble! Moving lawns - Dangerous! - and no expirience... Chores, already do that, I get 10$ a week, yeah, thats a good amount, but not enough to pay for boarding when I want to get a horse, and things like that.

Oh! and one last thing - newspapers - yeah a HUGE list of people on the waiting list in my neighborhood, so cant do this either....

So...you see my dilemma....

Please give any advice possible!!!

Thanks,
ponycrazy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about a part time job??
I have been working for a few years now and have managed to earn enough to support my horse but then its a rare occasion to treat myself though
I do also the ocassion lawn mowing job but my brothers usually beat me to it haha

Not quite old enough yet :(

·
Registered
755 Posts
Have you looked for barns that need help mucking stalls/feeding/etc? I'm seventeen and up until this year I haven't been able to work at all. I still barely get work but I don't look very hard since my mom doesn't want me working retail...that kinda leaves me with nothing LOL. But I do occasionally work at my barn cleaning or bedding stalls, watering or haying the horses, or just whatever the BO needs help with. It's my ideal job, I just wish I could work there more! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you looked for barns that need help mucking stalls/feeding/etc? I'm seventeen and up until this year I haven't been able to work at all. I still barely get work but I don't look very hard since my mom doesn't want me working retail...that kinda leaves me with nothing LOL. But I do occasionally work at my barn cleaning or bedding stalls, watering or haying the horses, or just whatever the BO needs help with. It's my ideal job, I just wish I could work there more! :D

Yeah! That sounds fun haha. I will have to ask my barn :) thanks,

all advice is appreciated :) ,
ponycrazy,
b.c

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
LOL mowing lawns is not dangerous--I've been mowing my lawn without supervision since I was like 8. The no experience thing isn't so much a factor as not having your own tools. If you've ever seen a movie where there was some guy mowing his lawn in the opening scenes, you pretty much get the idea of how its done.

As for the dog walking, thats actually a very feasible idea if you live in a suburban area. You don't have to walk like 50 dogs at once, Just find some people in your neighborhood who seem to always be out or at work, and if they have a dog, leave your name and number at their door. It has the added benefit of getting you fit as well. I also suggest you pick up a copy of Moneymakers: Good Cents for Girls. It has some nice ideas on making your own money and saving in other ways. I actually have a copy, and if you can't find it in your area, would be willing to send it to you for free.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
how old are you. I started working part time at the stable I ride at when I was 13 or 14. It payed $10 an hour. Now I work 9 hours every Sat. and 4-5 hours ever other sunday. Makes good money and I can afford my horses more{with the help of parents}. Oh I'm turning 16 this year by the way. Depending how old you are you could get a part-time job.

Also, maybe mention to family you'd like to be paid for babysitting. I know they're family but let them know horses aren't free and neither should you be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL mowing lawns is not dangerous--I've been mowing my lawn without supervision since I was like 8. The no experience thing isn't so much a factor as not having your own tools. If you've ever seen a movie where there was some guy mowing his lawn in the opening scenes, you pretty much get the idea of how its done.

As for the dog walking, thats actually a very feasible idea if you live in a suburban area. You don't have to walk like 50 dogs at once, Just find some people in your neighborhood who seem to always be out or at work, and if they have a dog, leave your name and number at their door. It has the added benefit of getting you fit as well. I also suggest you pick up a copy of Moneymakers: Good Cents for Girls. It has some nice ideas on making your own money and saving in other ways. I actually have a copy, and if you can't find it in your area, would be willing to send it to you for free.

Thanks for the advice, and I know that lawn mowing isn't that dangerous, or difficult, but I am VERY accident prone, haha. And thanks so much for the advice on the book! I will definatly look for it in my area , thanks :)

ponycrazy

b.c

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how old are you. I started working part time at the stable I ride at when I was 13 or 14. It payed $10 an hour. Now I work 9 hours every Sat. and 4-5 hours ever other sunday. Makes good money and I can afford my horses more{with the help of parents}. Oh I'm turning 16 this year by the way. Depending how old you are you could get a part-time job.

Also, maybe mention to family you'd like to be paid for babysitting. I know they're family but let them know horses aren't free and neither should you be.

I am 12 . :( And yeah, I will ask my family members. haha. Hopefully they will agree. :p

thanks,
ponycrazy,
b.c

·
Registered
191 Posts
Age is going to be a huge factor right now, unfortunately. At 12, there's not too much you can do. I don't think you're even allowed to be left alone by yourself in your own house at 12, much less have people be comfortable with you watching their kids. It's great to see you with a work ethic already, though. Good luck, and I hope you find something!

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Age is going to be a huge factor right now, unfortunately. At 12, there's not too much you can do. I don't think you're even allowed to be left alone by yourself in your own house at 12, much less have people be comfortable with you watching their kids. It's great to see you with a work ethic already, though. Good luck, and I hope you find something!
LOL actually, you are. My mom checked when I was 12 (quite a few years ago, granted) It really all depends on your maturity level, as well as how well your neighbors know you and how well you can market yourself. I've been steadily employed since I was 13, all because I traded a whole day of mucking stalls for 3 hours on a horse. I sat down and converted my little deal out into cash once, and I was paid something like 8 dollars an hour. Pretty good for a 13 year old.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

No, at 12 you can babysit kids, but they have to be in your family, or a close family friend, and your maturity level. But thanks for the luck! I need all I can get! I know :( I hate 12, it's when you want to start making money really badly, but there is nothing out there for ya'. :(

Thanks,
ponycrazy,
b.c

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL actually, you are. My mom checked when I was 12 (quite a few years ago, granted) It really all depends on your maturity level, as well as how well your neighbors know you and how well you can market yourself. I've been steadily employed since I was 13, all because I traded a whole day of mucking stalls for 3 hours on a horse. I sat down and converted my little deal out into cash once, and I was paid something like 8 dollars an hour. Pretty good for a 13 year old.

Yeah, that's a good amount of money! I don't think my barn will be that flexible unfortunately, but I might get something out of it. :) Thanks :)

ponycrazy,
b.c

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
No, at 12 you can babysit kids, but they have to be in your family, or a close family friend, and your maturity level. But thanks for the luck! I need all I can get! I know :( I hate 12, it's when you want to start making money really badly, but there is nothing out there for ya'. :(

Thanks,
ponycrazy,
b.c
really ?
i started babysitting at other peoples houses when i was 10... i took this babysitting class & got a little certificate to show people. maybe you can see if they have a class like that in your area ?

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Oh! I have another thing to add. Get yourself certified in CPR and first aid on babies, children, and adults. Usually your hospital will offer classes, its like 6 hours on a Saturday and then they give you a little certificate to carry around. You do have to renew it every two years or something like that, but if you'd like to pursue babysitting outside of your family, or even working at a barn, first aid and CPR knowledge is very valuable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
really ?
i started babysitting at other peoples houses when i was 10... i took this babysitting class & got a little certificate to show people. maybe you can see if they have a class like that in your area ?
Yeah, I have one of those certificates too. haha

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh! I have another thing to add. Get yourself certified in CPR and first aid on babies, children, and adults. Usually your hospital will offer classes, its like 6 hours on a Saturday and then they give you a little certificate to carry around. You do have to renew it every two years or something like that, but if you'd like to pursue babysitting outside of your family, or even working at a barn, first aid and CPR knowledge is very valuable.
I have done a babysitting course certificate. Does that count????

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am in the same situation. I was thinking of pet-sitting..i used to do it with my neighbors (sp) cats. All ya do is feed them and clean out litter boxes. I got like $60!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.